Pen selection

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-01-28 03:26:44

Being able to make a selection using the pen tool for either irregular but straight edged, or Bézier curves.

As an example this would be useful to me when making product marketing images for an app UI change pitch, I desaturate the rest of the UI that isn't changing and leave the new parts saturated. The new parts I want to call attention to are often not rectangles or cell shaped.

2022-01-31 11:11:35

Hey Blake! There isn't a dedicated setting for this but that's fairly simple to do in Pixelmator Pro. If you fill the path you draw with any color or gradient, you can then choose Edit > Load Selection to make a selection that outlines the path. The method has been discussed in more detail in this thread here. Hope that helps!

2022-01-31 22:50:35

oh thank you Aurelija! Can I change my feature request to get a more direct method please? 😘

2022-02-03 08:07:14

Sure!

2022-11-30 23:03:10

Hi there, any updates on this one?
😃

Thanks!
Dante

2023-04-20 06:34:07

Hey guys, For anyone interested I've written an AppleScript for this task:

Optional Setup to be able to easily invoke the script:
* Open Applications > Utilities > Script Editor.app,
* From the menu bar: Script Editor > Preferences > General > Select the "Show Script menu in menu bar" option
* Using the newly added script menu in the menu bar (on the right hand side with the icons, it looks like an S), click it, click Open Scripts Folder > Open User Scripts folder.
* Copy paste the code at the bottom into a new document inside Script Editor and save it as a script file in that user scripts folder.
* You should see the script now when you click the Script editor "S" icon from the menubar

Note Before use: This script will remove the shape after it's done, if you don't want that, remove lines 7, 8 & 9:
tell application "System Events"
	key code 51
end tell

To use:
* Make a complete full shape or a line object with the pen tool

Note: (i.e , you need to be out of the mode where you haven't created the shape yet. Also the shape layer needs to be selected). The motivation behind this is so you can just make the shape and immediately invoke the script to get the selection.

* Run the script, if you followed the directions above, Select the Script editor "S" icon from the menu bar again, and invoke the script you saved

* Done, the area of the shape is now selected and the shape created for the selection is removed

tell application "Pixelmator Pro"
	tell the styles of the current layer of the front document
		set its fill color to {0, 0, 0}
		set its fill opacity to 100
	end tell
	load selection of the current layer of the front document mode add selection
	tell application "System Events"
		key code 51
	end tell
end tell

Dante