Is EDR only for newer iPads?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2022-10-25 15:30:39

I have an iPad Pro 2018, so no MiniLED display.

-Is the EDR feature only available for the newer iPads? I haven’t been able to find where to enable it so I suppose it’s not available for me.
-I know the Apple Pencil hover feature is only available for the new iPad Pros 2022.

So the only new feature for my iPad is LUTs support?

2022-10-25 23:27:44

I have looked and looked on the iPad Air 4 and iPhone 12 Pro Max and don’t see the EDR mode anywhere. Where is it hiding?

2022-11-06 17:22:11

What do you mean by EDR? The main search reference I can find is for Endpoint Detection and Response in a security sense.

But on the Free Dictionary there are 64 possibilities, none of which make sense here?

Cheers

Andy

2022-11-06 18:42:17

by Andy Hewitt What do you mean by EDR? The main search reference I can find is for Endpoint Detection and Response in a security sense.

But on the Free Dictionary there are 64 possibilities, none of which make sense here?

Cheers

Andy
One of the new features was EDR which I think stands for Extended Dynamic Range or something like that. It’s supposed to be a visualization aid for images that have blown out areas.

2022-11-06 19:36:22

It does work on the iPad Pro 2018 (I have that model too). You'll need to open up a RAW image, then select the Adjust Colors icon in the top right. And finally, you'll find the Turn on EDR on the menu at the bottom right (3 dots).

Hope that helps. I know I had to really search for this. Would be nice to have tutorials or instructions on these new features.

2022-11-06 20:14:43

by Silversaint It does work on the iPad Pro 2018 (I have that model too). You'll need to open up a RAW image, then select the Adjust Colors icon in the top right. And finally, you'll find the Turn on EDR on the menu at the bottom right (3 dots).

Hope that helps. I know I had to really search for this. Would be nice to have tutorials or instructions on these new features.
Thanks! I agree about the instructions, or at least mention in the blog where to activate it. Also, some LUTs do not work and some do. No idea what is the difference.

2022-11-07 07:21:57

Aha, sorry, now I understand, thank you. I really dislike acronyms, and have done for many years (we even now have things like auto text replacement available, so we can write articles using plain language without having to actually type it all out).

Yes, confirmed as working on my 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 as well (LUTs and the EDR feature :wink: ).

Cheers.

2022-11-07 08:40:47

It also works on iPadPro 12.9” 2nd gen
✌🏻

2022-11-07 17:50:56

I believe the iPad has to have an XDR Display for EDR.

2022-11-08 19:23:44

by Ryder I believe the iPad has to have an XDR Display for EDR.
No, it works with regular displays too.

2022-11-08 19:31:47

I was going by the link you provided.

“ EDR stands for extended dynamic range and is a technology that lets us render high dynamic range (HDR) images in a more vivid and true-to-life way. iPad and iPhone devices with XDR displays deliver much higher levels of peak brightness than typical displays and EDR Mode makes the most of it. It works with the brightest parts of RAW photos: the highlights. Clipped highlights in RAW photos contain additional invisible detail and, using EDR Mode, those invisible details can be revealed by utilizing the higher peak brightness of XDR displays as parts of the display can become up to 8 times brighter.”

But I looked a bit further and behold, found where it was hiding. I’ll play around with it some.

2022-11-08 19:33:19

by Ryder I was going by the link you provided.

“ EDR stands for extended dynamic range and is a technology that lets us render high dynamic range (HDR) images in a more vivid and true-to-life way. iPad and iPhone devices with XDR displays deliver much higher levels of peak brightness than typical displays and EDR Mode makes the most of it. It works with the brightest parts of RAW photos: the highlights. Clipped highlights in RAW photos contain additional invisible detail and, using EDR Mode, those invisible details can be revealed by utilizing the higher peak brightness of XDR displays as parts of the display can become up to 8 times brighter.”

But I looked a bit further and behold, found where it was hiding. I’ll play around with it some.
Yes, I don't know why they even mention the XDR displays if it works with regular displays. They don't explain it very well.

2022-11-08 21:28:32

by Cantisani
Yes, I don't know why they even mention the XDR displays if it works with regular displays. They don't explain it very well.
The good thing is that you got me to looking more and I found it on my iPad. They really buried this feature. I was looking under the other eclipse.

2023-02-14 18:18:06

by Silversaint It does work on the iPad Pro 2018 (I have that model too). You'll need to open up a RAW image, then select the Adjust Colors icon in the top right. And finally, you'll find the Turn on EDR on the menu at the bottom right (3 dots).
I have iPad 11 2018 and it didn’t work for me. I used RAW from iPhone 12 PM but then realized it might be not a pure RAW so I got the real 14-bit RAW fro Canon EOS R camera. Anyway, I can’t see that option in three dots menu.