Remove background in Apple photos extension

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-10-21 07:43:39

When using Pixelmator Pro within Apple Photos, a few tools seem missing. Basically the top bar is missing that holds the "Remove background" function among other things. Another one that I use more often is "Image size", so that I can set a size for super resolution.

Is there any way to access these from the Apple photos extension? Just wondering why these seem to not be available from the photos extension.

2022-10-21 09:37:09

When you open an image in Photos and then select Edit In Pixelmator Pro:
1. Right-Click on the Image layer.
2. Click Remove Background

NOTE: You can also assign Remove Background as a Quick Action in the Finder.

I believe Image Size is controlled by the Photos app.
You would have to edit the image in stand-alone Pixelmator Pro. If I am wrong someone will correct me.

2022-10-21 13:21:10

All features available in Pixelmator Pro are also available in its Photos extension - the only issue is that with photos extensions, Photos replaces the menu bars and toolbars of the original app with its own. In the case of the Pixelmator Pro Photos extension, this means that our toolbar icons and menu items are not available, but the features themselves are still there. Many of them, such as Remove Background, can be accessed in many different ways but others such as Image Size can only be accessed by using a keyboard shortcut in the Photos extension (Command + Option + I in the case of Image Size). You can find a list of all Pixelmator Pro keyboard shortcuts here.

2022-10-21 14:19:24

thank you both for the replies. that answers all my questions.

2022-10-21 15:23:27

@Simonasd Thanks, did not know about the Image Size shortcut.