Remove "shine" from photo ?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2022-08-30 23:01:50

I have some old photos and after scanning them in there is a "shine" due to the paper they were printed on.
Is there way to remove the "shine"?

shine is a reflective and thus the photo does not look very good.

Thanks in advance
Rohit

2022-09-08 13:36:10

Hi Rohit! It really depends on type of reflection, its strength and what parts of the photo it's covering. Could you share an example of the kind of reflection you'd like to remove?

2022-09-21 17:10:47

See attached image.
Thanks in advance
Rohit

2022-09-22 17:21:34

Photos of photographs are always subject to "reflections" Best to try to take them at more of an angle. If this were my family I would have taken more time. This is what I did: drag two copies of the image to Pixelmator Pro. Don't show the top layer. In the lower image, I gaussian blurred the everything about a radius of 10. ( think that may be the default) . Then in the upper image with the upper layer visible use the "remove background" from the image image (you can hide the lower layer, and remove any artifacts.) Again on the top layer I selected only the hair of the couple, then while still selected I used a gaussian blur reduced to remove just the reflection to try to preserve the hair styles.
I did some fiddling with the edges (cloning), but there you have it. Image

2022-09-22 17:23:09

Wonderful. Thanks very much. I got this photo via many hands...

2022-09-22 17:26:30

I'm sure you can do better with a little more time than I took. This is fun stuff.

2022-10-04 09:52:46

If you have time and still have the photos try scanning them with a digital camera. You can defuse and adjust the lighting to eliminate glare and get a better result with less processing work.

Check out some videos on art reproduction, the techniques are well known.

2022-10-04 21:03:07

This photo is from 1960 that I obtained in a difficult manner. I don't have the original.
Thanks for all your guidance and help.
Rohit

2022-10-05 13:47:11

by Rohit Aggarwal This photo is from 1960 that I obtained in a difficult manner. I don't have the original.
Thanks for all your guidance and help.
Rohit
Ah, photo of a photo is all you have. This is better than nothing.