Disappointed in Upgrade

Discuss Pixelmator for iOS and mobile image editing.

2022-07-15 17:45:27

Was waiting and waiting for an easy selection and flood fill function with magic wand type filter but it did not happen. Most changes just rearrange their location but very few upgrades.

2022-07-24 00:55:09

Agree…they’ve taken the worst parts of the Mac OS interface and moved them to the iOS interface. Figuring out how to refine a selection is ridiculous, and sometimes it doesn’t work. In some aspects the Lightening and darkening tools have lost all subtlety in other ways they are too heavy handed. There’s no real antialiasing I guess anymore? And they really didn’t fix any of the known glitches. If you try to warp a rotated object it completely reverts back to normal just like before. This is way worse. I can no longer use the app for my work. Just tried to complete a project, and the quality is terrible. I’m at a loss. This app is completely ruined now. What a depressing end to a great app. Any chance you’ll let us downgrade back to the last version? I literally can’t do my job now. I have no idea what I’m going to do. You should’ve released a new app and left this one alone

2022-07-25 04:19:17

In the first 5 minutes of use, it has a major bug that ruins my workflow. Can’t seem to use ‘Save to Photos’ anymore. Did anyone else experience this and know a work around?

2022-07-25 05:44:27

I have not experienced that problem. The save to photos button works fine for me so far. The app in general seems to work a little better after I did a complete reboot of my iPad actually. Still trying to adjust my work flows to the new style. Hopefully that resolves your problem. They also did another mini update I think since the new roll out. Might make sure you have that

2022-08-05 00:37:18

I have been very disappointed in the new upgrade. The tools are not as user friendly, they do not work the same, and I also cannot save images to photos, unless I go through a share process—many steps. Other tool functions are very clumsy and you cannot see what you are doing with the visual indicators of strength and size. I want to revert back to the older version. Does anyone know if that is possible?

2022-08-05 13:40:53

i agree completely with your observations - it’s terrible now. unusable. they’ve removed everything that made the ios version good and brought over all the terrible interface mistakes from the mac version. the developers emailed me and said they had no plans to offer a method of reverting to a previous version. frankly i’ve just stopped using it now. this upgrade has put me into a state of depression. i’ve had to rethink my interest in art/photo editing a bit. i no longer feel inspired to work on my projects. and i’ve been passing on projects at work that i would’ve used it for.

2022-08-05 14:52:38

Hey everyone. We're sorry to hear you've been having bad experiences with the new Pixelmator for iOS update. Rest assured that we are doing the best we can to get the issues introduced in 2.7, including all of the ones you've mentioned above, fixed as soon as possible. The second batch of fixes was released yesterday with the 2.7.2 update (mainly addressing various crashes and text editing issues).

As for reverting to an older version of Pixelmator for iOS, normally, reverting to previous versions of an app wouldn't really be possible on iOS. However, we've recently added a copy of Pixelmator 2.6.4 to our TestFlight beta program, so it is now possible to temporarily revert to that version of Pixelmator while we're working on these fixes. For those of you who'd like to be able to use version 2.6.4 for a while longer, drop us a line at support@pixelmator.com and we'll add you to the beta program!

2022-08-21 11:16:14

One

2022-08-21 11:18:54

[quote=Harrry post_id=67517

2022-08-22 01:35:54

I’m now unable to import/add some photos to pixelmator iOS. I click the plus sign to add a photo - then when it opens if I click the images button on certain projects to go back to the main screen - the project simply disappears. No where to be found. I made the mistake of importing a photo and working on it for an hour before this glitch began manifesting and I lost all my work. Now I’m afraid every time I import a photo that this will happen so I always make sure to click image right away to make sure it appears in the main projects screen. Not sure what causes this. It’s a first for me and doesn’t happen with all photos. I’ve restarted my iPad hoping that would reset it - but the problem persists with those photos.

I’ll also say if you are going to move features around and reorganize them for no reason please just give us the ability to create our own toolbar at the top. It’s full of black unused space - it’s just a slap in the face that we can’t fill it with tools. Your new version is way harder to use already - giving us a little grace with that would be much appreciated.

Another issue is your selection tool. It used to have a refine feature that was easily accessible at the top - now you have to delve into a submenu to find it. Then once it is in use - it no longer consistently shows the yellow smoothing screen. 10% of the time you can see it (to determine how much refine you want - but the rest of the time, you see nothing at all and just have to,guess. also you have to click deselect for some reason now where as before you could just click away. Please stop forcing us into extra clicks to access features. the problem with the old app was it lacked some power - the interface was fine. Now the interface is clunky and I see no extra processing power. The iPad is an excellent platform for photo editing with applepencil but only if the app is built FOR the iPad. If you pull in tedious submenus and other aspects from the macOS version - it ceases to take advantage of the benefits of a touch interface - it needs to be easy to use. You take us out of our flow when you hide tools and create distractions like this.

I really appreciate how you’ve made the clone tool center in the current view instead of centering in the whole image. This is very much appreciated!

The darken / lighten tools are no longer working correctly. They’ve lost all the sensitivity and subtlety that I depended on in the previous version. They are harsh and have no anti-aliasing or smoothing around the edges. I can’t imagine a scenario where I could use them now. they also simply don’t work on certain colors at all. I draw and draw and press and press and I’m seeing no change in the picture. Particularly noticeable on dark areas that need further darkening. Those tools need to be wholly reverted back to the original versions. Please! In general the repair, clone, darken, lighten, Saturation… all of those tools are working worse than the previous version - and it’s for the Same reason -the edge harshness is dialed way up and there’s no blending / smoothing happening anymore. Plus they just don’t appear to listen to the opacity setting. You either get 100% or 1% - It’s a step in the wrong direction for those tools.

I highly recommend bringing the old version back and pushing this one out as a different app entirely once it’s really ready to go. I truly hope it eventually meets the standard of the old one - but it feels like I’m working in a beta now. I’d happily pay $20 for a fully realized version of your app with all the features working correctly again and a file interface that worked well. But right now I’m not sure what this is anymore.

I really do appreciate how difficult it is to develop these apps - and I loved the old one’s simplicity and ease of use - it gave me many great results. I know there’s a happy medium. But I’ve yet to find anything improved in this version other than the clone tool centering itself.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to improvements to come.

2022-09-09 14:17:51

Your feedback has been noted, Ben, thanks for sharing it! Regarding the issue with projects disappearing, are you unable to see those projects in your Recents tab? Have you noticed any patterns within this behavior, e.g. any specific photos or image sizes causing it, or any other steps that could be taken to reproduce it?

2022-09-09 22:17:13

actually i’ve attributed the disappearing project issue to corrupted image originals - not a pixelmator issue. sorry i meant to update that on here. i think i clarified it in an email with support instead. in general the last update does seem to be running smoother. the one thing i do notice is with the tools like darken/lighten - it doesn’t seem to matter how hard or long i press with the apple pencil. it will only darken to a certain degree. once it reaches that level it gives up and i have to lift the pencil up and re-apply it. i feel like the previous version paid attention to the apple pencil and if i kept pressing down on an area it would continue to get darker - mimicking how a real pencil works. i’m getting used to the location of the tools - but still a little frustrated with needing to deal with extra clicking to get thru my work flow. it’s feeling more useable now though. i’m back to being able to accomplish projects again. just takes longer for somethings

2022-09-20 01:43:43

Additionally, if you're going to rearrange things without a good reason, please just let us design our own toolbar at the top. The fact that we can't fill it with tools is just a slap in the face because it's full of empty, dark space. Your new version is already considerably more difficult to use; please extend us a little wiggle room.