Pixelmator Pro beta with Shortcuts support now available on TestFlight

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2021-09-02 13:04:54

Pixelmator Pro 2.2 Carmel will be released not too long from now, when the wonderful new macOS Monterey becomes available. We’ll be adding full compatibility support for macOS Monterey and really extensive support for the all-new Shortcuts for macOS with over 24 new shortcuts! And today, we’re making it available for beta testing through TestFlight.

Read the full blog post here.

2021-09-02 13:53:37

请问pixelmator photo还没有更新吗?已经很久没有更新了!

2021-09-02 21:08:37

Sounds exciting! But I rely on my MacBook too much to be installing system OS betas onto it, So much that could go wrong... I'll join Whenever MacOS Monterey comes out!
However, Shortcuts is looking SO COOL with Pixelmator, Automator is getting a bit old!
Pixelmator 2.2 is sounding great! Can't wait to use it as I'm sure there is many awesome changes!

2021-09-03 08:07:31

by 294790756@qq.com 请问pixelmator photo还没有更新吗?已经很久没有更新了!
Heya. Pixelmator Photo update will have to wait a little while longer but I promise it's coming! :pray:
by Tali Sounds exciting! But I rely on my MacBook too much to be installing system OS betas onto it, So much that could go wrong... I'll join Whenever MacOS Monterey comes out!
However, Shortcuts is looking SO COOL with Pixelmator, Automator is getting a bit old!
Pixelmator 2.2 is sounding great! Can't wait to use it as I'm sure there is many awesome changes!
I did an upgrade to macOS 12 beta yesterday (I was curious to try out Shortcuts, to be honest :sweat_smile:) and haven't noticed any major issues so far but I agree that sometimes it's best to be safe than sorry. Anyway, I hope you'll have fun with Shortcuts once macOS Monterey officially rolls out!

2021-09-10 00:52:01

Do you have any shortcut examples or tutorials for building a shortcut from scratch with the 24 items you've included? I'm trying to make a shortcut to open/choose an image and then have that image be ML resolution increased and then dumped into my photos app into a folder. It looks like it should work, but it fails at the ML conversion step every time and looks more like a shortcuts error than a Pixelmator Pro error. Anyway, was just wondering what the exact steps should be to make such a shortcut? :) I sent feedback in the beta app but wasn't sure who see's that.
Thanks!

2021-09-13 07:33:34

by Kris Venden 2021-09-09 21:52:01 Do you have any shortcut examples or tutorials for building a shortcut from scratch with the 24 items you've included? I'm trying to make a shortcut to open/choose an image and then have that image be ML resolution increased and then dumped into my photos app into a folder. It looks like it should work, but it fails at the ML conversion step every time and looks more like a shortcuts error than a Pixelmator Pro error. Anyway, was just wondering what the exact steps should be to make such a shortcut? :) I sent feedback in the beta app but wasn't sure who see's that.
Thanks!
You might be missing the "Get Images from Input" action here. With this action, the Shortcut would look something like this:

We don't really have a dedicated tutorial for building shortcuts yet (perhaps we'll have it for the official release of v2.2) but the beta has a sample Watermark shortcut included that you can check out. You'll find the link in the What's New screen.

By the way, I don't think we've received a message from you at beta@pixelmator.com. Or have you shared your feedback some other way?

2021-09-13 07:38:03

by Kris Venden 2021-09-09 21:52:01 It looks like it should work, but it fails at the ML conversion step every time and looks more like a shortcuts error than a Pixelmator Pro error.
That's a timeout issue – there's currently a hard limit for how long actions are allowed to process things and we're hitting it with our ML actions. However, we've reported it to Apple and it looks like the timeout should be removed in the next macOS beta (or the full release if there are no more betas before it). So you're probably doing everything correctly. :pray:

2021-09-15 06:35:15

This new option could be really something I was.looking for. This will speed up the workflow and make Pixelmator even more fun to use and a lot easier. Hope it will work out fine and keep up the good work!

2021-09-15 08:06:34

I'm looking forward to this when I get to Monterey. Running iOS 15 / iPad OS 15 betas I'm wondering if I can get started with shortcuts on iOS / iPad OS. Or are these new shortcuts only available on Mac OS?

2021-09-15 08:18:10

by Jos 2021-09-15 03:35:15 This new option could be really something I was.looking for. This will speed up the workflow and make Pixelmator even more fun to use and a lot easier. Hope it will work out fine and keep up the good work!
It looks like everything should work just fine! :raised_hands:
by Martin Packer 2021-09-15 05:07:06 I'm looking forward to this when I get to Monterey. Running iOS 15 / iPad OS 15 betas I'm wondering if I can get started with shortcuts on iOS / iPad OS. Or are these new shortcuts only available on Mac OS?
These are Mac-only actions – they use the Pixelmator Pro app in the background, so it wouldn't be possible to run the same code on iOS/iPadOS at this time. But developing these actions should, in theory, make it a little easier to bring over to iOS/iPadOS in the future.

2021-09-18 11:15:41

Sounds exciting! But I rely on my MacBook too much to be installing system OS betas onto it, So much that could go wrong... I'll join Whenever MacOS Monterey comes out!

2021-09-20 08:21:01

by indiantravelstore 2021-09-18 10:15:41 Sounds exciting! But I rely on my MacBook too much to be installing system OS betas onto it, So much that could go wrong... I'll join Whenever MacOS Monterey comes out!
Understandable and very much the correct call! :ok_hand:

2021-09-22 00:31:12

by Andrius 2021-09-13 14:38:03
That's a timeout issue – there's currently a hard limit for how long actions are allowed to process things and we're hitting it with our ML actions. However, we've reported it to Apple and it looks like the timeout should be removed in the next macOS beta (or the full release if there are no more betas before it). So you're probably doing everything correctly. :pray:
Unfortunately, still does the same thing on the new beta released today.. :(

2021-09-22 09:08:44

by Kris Venden 2021-09-21 23:31:12
Unfortunately, still does the same thing on the new beta released today.. :(
Yep, we’re looking into it… It’s possible more betas are coming. :fingers_crossed:

2021-09-29 11:49:53

Good news, beta 8 looks to have fixed this! :party_face:

2021-09-29 20:03:46

by Andrius 2021-09-29 18:49:53 Good news, beta 8 looks to have fixed this! :party_face:
Interesting! The shortcut does run all the way through, now, successfully it appears. Takes a bit of time as well, so seems like it is upscaling the image. However, no image ever shows up in my Photos app. I have the same last step your team member posted above with the save upscaled image to (specified folder) in photos. So, I wonder where the image ended up.. maybe still more bugs to work out. :) Seems like we're so close, though! This will be great when fully working!

2021-09-29 20:05:37

Oh dear! If you remove the action that saves to Photos, do you see the output in Shortcuts? Have you tried adding a Save File action instead, just to see if you do get prompted to save the file?

2021-09-29 20:14:11

by Andrius 2021-09-29 20:11:33 Oh dear! If you remove the action that saves to Photos, do you see the output in Shortcuts? Have you tried adding a Save File action instead, just to see if you do get prompted to save the file?
Yep. I changed it to save file and that prompted a save location and saved an upscaled photo just fine. So, I guess I'll have to figure out a different way to automate it being imported into Photos. This file didn't come out of Photos app.. a jpg on an external hard drive. Perhaps it would work if I pulled my source from Photos app and then saved to a folder in Photos, but I'd love to have the upconverted file import to my iCloud photos..

Update: Weird! I tried putting back the save photos to album part again, and now, it's working just fine. They are showing up in photos app, now! I guess we're all good!

2022-05-13 10:15:31

hi

2022-09-02 03:58:34

我也想加入testflight!但显示名额已满。作为购买用户我也想享受最新的testflight版本更新!请问如何申请?