Crop tool - display of floating-point numbers in custom aspect ratio

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-08-26 00:28:22

It appears that the crop tool allows the use of floating-point numbers for custom aspect ratios, but it in the input fields the number is displayed as the nearest whole number.

For example, if I want to crop an image to the same aspect ratio as A4 paper, I can enter 1:1.414 as a custom aspect ratio. The cop box is resized to the correct ratio, but in the input fields the ratio is shown as 1:1.

Since the fields accept floating-point numbers, it would be good if they were displayed correctly. I think this could help avoid some confusion when the numbers displayed don't match the actual ratio of the crop box. It would also be nice to know the level precision in the ratio (i.e. how many decimal places are being used).

I think there are two workarounds for the rounding of numbers displayed in the crop ratio input fields. One workaround is to simply avoid the use of floating-point numbers, for example by using the dimensions of A4 paper in mm as the ratio. Another workaround is to enter the floating-point numbers, save the custom ratio, and then rename it to show the actual ratio entered.

I've posted a GIF demonstrating this issue to imgur as I wasn't able to attach it to my post here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TYLSWBy