Precision gradient handles when using [show gradient handles on the canvas] in angle gradients mode

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-07-11 16:42:49

When working with 'angle gradients' precision placement of each gradient handle color key point on a circle would be extremely helpful when using the "Show or Hide the gradient handles on the canvas" option. Today when the option is clicked there is only one line shown for angle zero. I would like to see a circle instead, and more controls to interact with each gradient handle (including new ones added by user at various angles).

For example after clicking the "Show or Hide the gradient handles on the canvas":
* In "angle gradients" mode it would be helpful to see a 360 circle on the canvas, and show each 'gradient handle' as a point on the circle. The points on the circle should be adjustable on the gradient map to set an exact point matching something on the image (say at 90 degrees). This 'gradient handle' should be drag-able to adjust the angle it sits at (say tweaking to 92 degrees for another). This would enable making sharp or gradual gradient lines at a specific angle of interest.

I attempted to do this using Pixelmator functionality today with limited success trying to move the gradient handle sliders on the tiny colored map. With 2 points near each other it was challenging to hit all 4 corners at exactly 90, 180, and 270. My results pictured here Image

Just a fan, and regular user of Pixelmator Pro!
Shawn

2022-07-13 09:58:36

What helps is holding Shift key to constraint 15° increments (you´re at 158,6° which makes no sense) and having an eye on the % values while dragging the sliders; 50% is key in this case:
(Affinity Designer has on canvas handles but adjustments are cumbersome as well - automatically inserting new stops at 50% is convenient to have.)

2022-07-13 14:53:21

EllenM,

Thanks for the suggestion of holding the shift key to get better angle increments (158.6 degree) definitely nice to see 45 degree jumps. I got the 4 corners lined up better, and realized I have a new problem with my custom "frame" style. This only works with a square, and not with a rectangle (or any other shape for that matter). I've posted an image below showing my attempt. Any thoughts on how to get a nice looking frame for any square or rectangle?

2022-07-13 18:34:53

Best thing I can think of is to make 1 frame side (trapezoid) with 45° angles at the ends - easy expandable/adjustable. Make it broader when you need more depth covered by a rectangle. Principle shown here - hope you´ll get the idea:

2022-07-13 20:04:05

That looks really nice, and is a good way to make a proper frame with some shapes. Is there a way to add a new shape to the shapes browser. The built in "trapezoid" does not have 45 degree angles!

In any case - I played around a bit more and tweaked 4 radial styles with angular focus on four colors in each quadrant (Red, Blue, Yellow, Green). By carefully using creative transparency in the other 270 degrees (see image) I was able to overlap the 4 radial styles just right. After applying on a rectangle it just requires 4 edits using the "Show or hide the gradient handles on the canvas" to make the 45 degree angles perfect on each corner (for non squares). I can save it in the "Styles" as a 1 click option now.

My updated request to Pixelmator Pro team after playing around with this:
* A new shape. A [Picture Frame] shape that stretches like the [Double-headed Arrow] shape to resize which keeps the frame thickness to a set width, and has 45 degree angles on each edge.

Also it would be nice for a layer style shadow to not be limited to 100 pixels. There are cases where want to apply a inner stroke (to avoid the rounded corners), and can't effectively combine a layer style of 100 pixels + a inner shadow when I'm limited to 100 pixels on the inner stroke.
* Change the max size limit to 500px to layer styles

Shawn

2022-07-14 01:56:26

quote: My updated request to Pixelmator Pro team after playing around with this:
A new shape. A [Picture Frame] shape that stretches like the [Double-headed Arrow] shape to resize which keeps the frame
thickness to a set width, and has 45 degree angles on each edge.

Very easy to add shapes to the library - just create a shape, I subtracted a shape from a rectangle to make a frame shape - then select the shape and use the plus sign on the category name : voila. This image shows a couple of the many shapes I've made. Of course this method does not address the ability to adjust the widths dynamically as in rounded rectangles.

2022-07-14 05:17:25

Cool - thanks for teaching me how to make my own shapes. Very nice. Using that to make some standard frame sizes such as 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10.