Open files in tabs sorted by their name

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2020-10-27 10:33:21

This is a simple one.

I often have to open multiple files at once and then edit them in the order of their name. But Pixelmator opens the files more or less in a random order. That way I first have to sort the tabs manually from this:

to that:

That's not a difficult task but gets annoying if you have to do it over and over again.

In this case I was working on some screenshots, but in other cases I am opening multiple photos which have been numbered by the camera.

So all you guys have to do sort the array of files paths before opening them in Pixelmator. That would be super helpful and a big time saver for me and many others!

Thanks!

Daniel

2020-10-27 16:19:22

Hey Daniel, right now, I think the functionality is just whatever file gets opened fastest, so if you have big images, they'll usually be opened last. If your images are all the same size, well, then it's probably a bit of a lottery with regards to which one jumps ahead, but they won't be opened at exactly the same speed. We'll see what we can do about this!

2020-10-27 21:14:58

by Daniel W. 2020-10-27 10:33:21 I often have to open multiple files at once and then edit them in the order of their name. But Pixelmator opens the files more or less in a random order. That way I first have to sort the tabs manually from this:
Daniel

Its very easy to do that in AppleScript.
set theFileList to (choose file with prompt "" with multiple selections allowed) as list

tell application "Pixelmator Pro"
	repeat with i from 1 to (count theFileList)
		open item i of theFileList
	end repeat
end tell

2020-10-28 09:31:14

Ooh, nice suggestion!

2020-10-28 11:25:11

Thanks for the Apple Script. That works well. :thumbs_up:

I still think it should be part of Pixelmator. If you open multiple files at once, the time to open all of them will always be the same, no matter in which order they are being opened.

Cheers
Daniel

2020-10-28 11:59:28

by Daniel W. 2020-10-28 08:25:45 I still think it should be part of Pixelmator. If you open multiple files at once, the time to open all of them will always be the same, no matter in which order they are being opened.
True, I've already shared the request with the team and it does seem like something we might be able to do!

2020-10-28 12:00:13

Awesome!

2023-05-29 17:02:42

Any updates on this? It's pretty irritating to have to manually sort the random order.

2023-10-06 06:27:30

by Andrius Hey Daniel, right now, I think the functionality is just whatever file gets opened fastest, so if you have big images, they'll usually be opened last. If your images are all the same size, well, then it's probably a bit of a lottery here with regards to which one jumps ahead, but they won't be opened at exactly the same speed. We'll see what we can do about this!
If you have a collection of large images, it's possible that they may take longer to open compared to smaller files. This is because larger files contain more data, and it may take additional time for the system to read and process that data.

2023-10-09 07:45:48

by dekleena If you have a collection of large images, it's possible that they may take longer to open compared to smaller files. This is because larger files contain more data, and it may take additional time for the system to read and process that data.
This "issue" has been fixed a while ago. Images now open ordered by name, not by file size.