Customizable Toolbar

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2020-07-20 22:35:15

It would be very helpful to have a customizable toolbar instead of being stuck with the default. Everyone uses their own mixture of features, so why not make the toolbar work for everyone. Let us decide what is most prevalent, and what order it appears. I don't often use several of the tools that are easily accessed by default (Fill, Shapes etc.) Plus why does Selection get to take up 3 slots? It's a waste of real-estate. However, I'm constantly using the tools that you've hidden behind the >> button at the bottom. (Darken, Lighten, Warp, Sat., De-Sat., Sharpen). Coming from the iPad version, these were much easier to get to, now I keep forgetting where they are which disrupts my work flow.

Thank you!

2020-07-22 12:28:13

Noted! Can't spoil too much but we've actually got some UI changes underway that should address some of the points mentioned :wink:

2020-10-16 17:28:10

I see this was posted nearly 3 months ago, and I concur with Ben Hermes. I have owned Pixelmator Pro since it launched, but I'm still using the original Pixelmator instead because the user interface in the Pro is way too constrictive, like it was designed to hide features from users. I am baffled by the UX decisions.

2020-10-19 10:58:56

by ambw 2020-10-16 14:28:10 I see this was posted nearly 3 months ago, and I concur with Ben Hermes. I have owned Pixelmator Pro since it launched, but I'm still using the original Pixelmator instead because the user interface in the Pro is way too constrictive, like it was designed to hide features from users. I am baffled by the UX decisions.
Overall, we're quite happy with the way Pixelmator Pro is laid out and, judging by the overwhelmingly positive reviews on the Mac App Store, it's probably quite safe to assume that a majority of our users are too. Now, by no means am I saying that the app is perfect from a UX perspective, far from it! There are certain very specific things we want to improve (getting rid of the presets bar, adding an effects browser, adding toolbar customization, etc.) and we're working on all those things and more. But I don't think we'll be completely overhauling the UI (i.e. switching back to a palette-based one) anytime soon.

If there's anything specifically that you find confusing or frustrating, I'd love to hear what it is and I can tell you whether it's something we plan to improve or not. If absolutely everything about the UI is, in your opinion, bad, then it's probably going to be difficult for us to find any common ground in terms of what the UI should be.