New function ML denoise does not work

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2019-10-10 19:31:56

I tried the new function ML denoise with a very noise dark image but it didn't do anything.
It processed a few seconds but then nothing happened.
The ML denoise option is also not checked after i have chosen it.
When i do the same thing with the ML enhance option you can clearly see a difference and it is checked after selecting it.

2019-10-11 09:34:39

Hey Tobias, if the algorithm doesn’t detect any noise or thinks that it can’t fix it well, it will do nothing so as to not ruin the image. In general, our approach has always been to make tools that won't distort or otherwise 'break' images, even under extreme conditions. It might be that this time we've been a little too conservative, but we have some ideas about how we could tweak the algorithm to make it a little more aggressive. We'd love it if you could share this image or any other samples you might have with us at support@pixelmator.com — v1.5.1 will include some improvements to this feature and the more samples we have from real-world cases like this, the better.

2019-10-11 11:22:47

I have sent you the original photo.
So if the engine doesn’t detect any noise or thinks that it can’t fix it well it would be nice if you can display a message.
I tried it several times and i did not knew if i did something wrong or if it is a bug.

2019-10-14 11:02:02

Hi

I have the same problem, have tried the new ML denoise option on quite a few RAW images now and no change to any of them.
Also the same as Tobias has stated when you tick the option to add ML denoise it does not add it to the list.

2019-10-14 12:16:11

by kevrich46 2019-10-14 11:02:02 Hi

I have the same problem, have tried the new ML denoise option on quite a few RAW images now and no change to any of them.
Also the same as Tobias has stated when you tick the option to add ML denoise it does not add it to the list.
If you could share a sample or two with us at support@pixelmator.com, we'd add them to our dataset and check why the noise isn't being removed. As for ML Denoise not appearing in the Color Adjustments pane, that's actually by design as it doesn't currently have any sliders and can be applied repeatedly. We'll do our best to make some improvements here, though.

2019-10-20 09:42:31

I love Pixelmator pro and also that they released the feature nevertheless I think compare to the competition (affinity, luminar 4) this feature falls short. You can customise it on couple of ways, even Apple photo has it. I think it’s not on the the level as the competition and specially compare it to Pixelmator pro standards. Hopefully they can put more focus and effort in.
Like I said it’s an amazing app but sometimes it needs a bit more work...

2019-11-28 14:37:37

Yes, I have noticed the same. I'm working on an archive of photos some of which are over 100 years old. An effective denoise option would be excellent. For the really bad ones I have had to ask someone to fix them in Photoshop which is a shame as I can do everything else in PP.

2019-12-02 15:48:27

by spydeeex 2019-11-28 14:37:37 Yes, I have noticed the same. I'm working on an archive of photos some of which are over 100 years old. An effective denoise option would be excellent. For the really bad ones I have had to ask someone to fix them in Photoshop which is a shame as I can do everything else in PP.
Improvements are on the way. :pray: They may take a little while but some other great new features should bring some joy in the meantime.