Feature suggestion: EXIF editing

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Photo?

2019-04-25 09:09:32

Just had a thought - it would be great to be able to edit EXIF data in PP, we often find we need to edit photo[s] then re-open later to edit the EXIF data. Would be great to have that in the workflow.

I guess 2 models:

1. Editing EXIF with Image changes saves whole image
2. Just editing EXIF would update the image file without changing the image

Cheers, Andy

2019-04-25 13:36:15

Hey Andy, thanks for the suggestion! Just out of curiosity, what kind of EXIF fields do you usually find yourself needing to edit?

2019-04-25 13:51:20

Thanks Andrius,

It really varies but its fixing up things like:

Date & Time (usually from wrong settings in cameras)
GPS location/coordinates (either removal completely or fixing up)
Camera details (sometimes clients don't want Camera information logged)
Image Description
Category
Copyright
Credit
Headlines and Keywords
Comment
Software (if the image was to be made public for security purposes)

Cheers, Andy

2019-04-25 14:45:47

by Andy SP 2019-04-25 09:09:32 Just had a thought - it would be great to be able to edit EXIF data in PP, we often find we need to edit photo[s] then re-open later to edit the EXIF data. Would be great to have that in the workflow.

I guess 2 models:

1. Editing EXIF with Image changes saves whole image
2. Just editing EXIF would update the image file without changing the image

Cheers, Andy
+1 I second this feature request. The ability to edit EXIF would be most useful!

2019-04-26 10:41:57

Awesome, thanks for the clarification!

2019-09-02 14:06:41

I too would like to request this same feature in particular having the ability to add my name in to the copyright field for protecting images when sharing them online

2019-09-04 11:58:48

This is on our radar for the future — right now we want to take care of some very important workflow improvements but thanks for the nudge. :raised_hands:

2019-09-30 21:20:57

by Andrius 2019-09-04 11:58:48 This is on our radar for the future — right now we want to take care of some very important workflow improvements but thanks for the nudge. :raised_hands:
If y'all do this, include the entire EXIF dataset please. We are without built-in metadata editing since the demise of Aperture. Of course, PS edits EXIF, but PS aims for graphic artists, not working journalist. BTW, I am aware of the standalone app for EXIF and the perl implementation, which is totally cool. You could actually implement the perl tool—ExifTool by Phil Harvey—as it is open source. Thanks.

2020-05-24 05:24:49

I would love a way to view Exif metadata while scrolling through images, RAW Power has an info tab that you can select in the viewer mode which has quick view to all of the metadata.

Sometimes I’m shooting bracketed photos and there’s no fast way to view the info other than going out of Pixelmator Photo into another app such as Metapho.

2020-05-25 10:49:28

Awesome, thanks for the clarification about your workflow, that's always a help. :wink:

2020-06-19 18:12:28

+10 on editing photo info

Please also add at least creator, credit line, keywords and rating from the IPTC standard. The more the better!

2020-07-03 17:14:23

Ditto, would like EXIF editing. Especially for GPS coordinates since this helps with local SEO for web images.

2020-11-11 04:57:05

This is literally the only remaining feature needed for me to dump Photoshop and switch to Pixelmator. The fields I'm looking for are:
Title
Credit
Description
Keywords
Copyright Info
Copyright URL

Ideally, they should be smart fields, as in they should retain the history of entries so that when you start to type, it auto-completes based on previous entries. However, I'll take what I can get. I know other people will want location, camera info, etc... and that all would be nice too, but the above is a must-have for me.

2020-12-03 14:55:43

I too need to get at the metadata. I shoot some travel/nature photography for Stock. I need to be able to get a GPS location in, caption, titles, KEYWORDS, etc so that I can shoot, load to iPad, quick edits on the iPad, then batch in some keywords, captions, etc across multiple images (but single images would work too).

Also automatic file name changes (user defined) on export (date_image name)........

Amazing product so far and so close to being the simple yet powerful tool that I have been looking for!!!!!!

2021-01-26 10:10:44

by MrEdofCourse 2020-11-11 03:57:05 This is literally the only remaining feature needed for me to dump Photoshop and switch to Pixelmator. The fields I'm looking for are:
Title
Credit
Description
Keywords
Copyright Info
Copyright URL

Ideally, they should be smart fields, as in they should retain the history of entries so that when you start to type, it auto-completes based on previous entries. However, I'll take what I can get. I know other people will want location, camera info, etc... and that all would be nice too, but the above is a must-have for me.
I agree--please add this feature.

2021-02-09 04:42:04

I would also like to vote for EXIF functionality. At a minimum I would like Pixelmator to not remove the data when saving and exporting.

2022-08-03 07:28:48

This feature request goes back YEARS. It was on your feature request list in 2019! https://www.pixelmator.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=16565
Any updates???

2022-09-27 04:09:52

I'd actually find it sufficient if it would be possible to get the "Info" items from Apple Photos into PP. I mean they let you edit title, caption, keyword and location.

2023-02-14 09:09:38

I'd find it extremely useful to be able to edit EXIF metadata in Pixelmator Pro. I often edit:
- Geotags
- Date & Time

I dislike that Photos.app doesn't modify the metadata in the original image files, so I currently rely on a mix of HoudahGeo (on the Mac) and Metapho (on iOS) for this. It would be great if this were built in to Pixelmator Photo.

2023-08-04 22:13:21

+1

2023-10-23 11:57:20

+2

At the very least enable Copyright, Title/Caption and Artist/Creator fields ASAP! The same to Pixelmator Pro.

2023-10-28 15:42:32

+1
for me, just being able to do the same what you can do in apple photos would be sufficient. In apple photos you can add keywords, caption ,title, date, time , location etc.

Its strange to use photomator but for any EXIF edit I have ot go to Apple Photos to do it.

2023-11-16 20:29:52

+1 on the above! DEFINITE on Time & Date. I have a pic open now...after editing and exporting, I need to go into another app to change EXIF time and date captured. It's an extra step that should not be necessary.

2023-11-16 20:30:48

Yes, please add EXIF editing options! I now always use a separate app, “EXIF Editor”, for this; a brilliant small app that is very useful, including adding or changing location data, in a very precise way - using a map interface (similar to what is included in Lightroom Classic). Especially the ability to add or change exact location data would be a huge improvement.

2023-11-25 17:18:43

+1