Image Alignment and Stacking

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2019-08-13 20:02:09

Hi all,

Is there a tool/algorithm for automatically aligning photos/layers to the pixel? Ideally, I'm looking to use multiple layers for a few different uses, which I also have some questions on

1) Noise reduction (rather than cranking my ISO, stacking 10 photos of the same exposure)
2) Lighting* or focus blending - Is there an algorithm for focus blending? Or how do y'all accomplish?

*In situations with limited lighting, I might take a few photos with different lighting arrangements, and then pick the best sections of each to merge everything together. Is there a nice/easy way to smooth something like that out?

The various opacity tools are honestly tough for me to wrap my head around.

Thanks in advance!!

2019-08-13 22:24:54

Hi, as far as I know they are workimg on a noise and clarity feature. It would be nice to know how long that takes. @Andrius is there any news regarding this?

2019-08-14 16:01:16

Thanks Res! Would be very interested to know. For now, what is your process to align the photos? Mostly I am using a tripod for image stacking, but let's say it moves, or I don't - what's the best way in Pixelmator to perfectly align those pixels?

2019-08-14 16:01:58

Image alignment and stacking — we don't currently have any tools for automating this so this isn't really possible at the moment. Frustrating to hear, I know, but as far as I know, this generally needs to be done using a dedicated feature.
by ResLes 2019-08-13 22:24:54 Hi, as far as I know they are workimg on a noise and clarity feature. It would be nice to know how long that takes. @Andrius is there any news regarding this?
The noise removal feature is nearing completion, though it has taken a lot longer than we first thought. That's one of the reasons why we try to avoid hinting at upcoming features before they're ready. Even things that appear to be almost done can take a while to be completed. Clarity will take a little longer than noise removal, no ETA for now.

2019-08-14 21:52:17

by Andrius 2019-08-14 16:01:58 Image alignment and stacking — we don't currently have any tools for automating this so this isn't really possible at the moment. Frustrating to hear, I know, but as far as I know, this generally needs to be done using a dedicated feature.

The noise removal feature is nearing completion, though it has taken a lot longer than we first thought. That's one of the reasons why we try to avoid hinting at upcoming features before they're ready. Even things that appear to be almost done can take a while to be completed. Clarity will take a little longer than noise removal, no ETA for now.
Thanks Andrius, I know things can take longer then expected. It's just life but it would be great to hear when you think it could be ready.
Of course I will ask when it's coming because I would love to use it. 😀

2019-08-14 22:13:33

by Austin Brubaker 2019-08-14 16:01:16 Thanks Res! Would be very interested to know. For now, what is your process to align the photos? Mostly I am using a tripod for image stacking, but let's say it moves, or I don't - what's the best way in Pixelmator to perfectly align those pixels?
I am using a tripod, too. To do this in post editing is very time consuming. I try to avoid it.

2019-08-16 19:38:00

by Austin Brubaker 2019-08-14 16:01:16 Thanks Res! Would be very interested to know. For now, what is your process to align the photos? Mostly I am using a tripod for image stacking, but let's say it moves, or I don't - what's the best way in Pixelmator to perfectly align those pixels?
I do not align images but I had an idea 💡. Have you tried to shot in 4 or 6k? Some cameras can shoot 4k in 60 frames per second. You could do video and abstract the pics?

2023-11-17 22:20:54

This thread has gone silent. Any plan to have automated alignment so we can do basic photo merging ?