A few observations and bug report

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2019-06-13 13:50:56

Hello,

My first time post. Hello Pixelmator Photo community.

Here are a few of my observations, quite probably bugs:

1. When I opened the app first time it came with 3 of my pics from various/random cloud services imported. I can’t explain why those, why at all.
I can’t delete those photos either.

2. When I save a photo to Apple Photos then a duplicate is also stored in Pixelmator folder.

3. After converting and editing an approximately 10MB Olympus raw file, the stored file in Pixelmator folder is 186MB. This is a deal breaker if it’s not a bug and won’t be fixed. Eats up my cloud storage faster than I have expected.

Thank you very much in advance.

2019-06-13 14:59:13

Some unofficial feedback on this:

1. Check you are not on the recents tab on the Files page inside Pixelmator Photo. It can be a little misleading if you are not familiar with Apples Files app.

2. Pixelmator imports images for processing. Once you have exported to Apple Photos, you can delete the version in Pixelmator Photo if you have no plans to edit it further. This will have no impact on the version saved to Apple Photos.

3. The filesize is likely due to Pixelmator being a non destructive editor so it needs to keep track of all the various changes and adjustments made. You can change the Pixelmator Photo save location to On My iPad instead of iCloud Drive which will stop any files in Pixelmator from trying to upload to iCloud and not use up any of your cloud storage.

Pixelmator Photo is working in tandem with Apple's Files app so will use the selection you currently have for the Files app when inside Pixelmator Photo.

2019-06-13 16:04:10

Thank you very much for your answers.

1.. Unfortunately those 3 files were not recents, weren’t touched in years. So it’s really strange why they were Imported by default.

2. Great, thank you. That is solved.

3. I don’t think that storing the adjustment parameters to the original file would inflate the file size by nearly 19 times. And, eating up iPad storage so fast is just as bad.

2019-06-14 10:47:37

Regarding point 1, check in the Files app if you can find these files, under the likes of the recents tab. I have a similar issue and have logged it with Apple since it appears to be an iOS or iCloud issue.

2019-06-14 11:55:43

Some slightly more official feedback on this:
by Ali Boyacioglu Hello,

My first time post. Hello Pixelmator Photo community.

Here are a few of my observations, quite probably bugs:

1. When I opened the app first time it came with 3 of my pics from various/random cloud services imported. I can’t explain why those, why at all.
I can’t delete those photos either.
Showing all recently accessed compatible files is the default behavior for Files-based apps and this isn't something we can control, at least for now. But if they're nonexistent/deleted files, that would indicate some sort of cloud sync issue.
2. When I save a photo to Apple Photos then a duplicate is also stored in Pixelmator folder.
As Donka very correctly pointed out, you're free to delete those files. We're looking for ways to avoid creating the Photo file and give you the option to create it only for cases when you want to preserve your edits nondestructively.
3. After converting and editing an approximately 10MB Olympus raw file, the stored file in Pixelmator folder is 186MB. This is a deal breaker if it’s not a bug and won’t be fixed. Eats up my cloud storage faster than I have expected.

Thank you very much in advance.
This isn't quite a bug but will be improved in the future. Because the Repair tool in Pixelmator Photo is nondestructive — even with RAW files — that information has to be stored separately in the file. And, because RAW files have extended dynamic range, repaired areas also have to have this extended info in case you make adjustments and blown details have to be restored in repaired areas. This requires a great deal of memory, though we've been making some optimizations. If you don't use the Repair tool in a particular RAW file, the file definitely shouldn't grow to be that large. Also, you're free to delete those files if you don't plan to go back and make any more adjustments to them.

2019-06-14 13:08:35

Thank you very much Donka and Andrius.