CMYK support

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2019-04-30 09:39:16

Hi,
Just to get some background knowledge. Do I understand it correctly, for the same amount of work which goes into such an feature you could roll or 3 or 4 more other features which are higher in demand? Thanks.

2019-05-01 07:13:17

It's not quite as simple as that but, to some extent, yes, that's true. It's especially true for things that change the image rendering engine in significant ways. For example, clipping masks might seem like a relatively simple thing to add but there are so many possible ways to clip layers to other layers, each clipping mask itself can be formatted in a range of different ways (using effects, styles, with various blending options), there's also nested shapes, groups, etc. So that feature took a long time to develop. Most significant features take a long time, but, for example, a Free Transform feature for Pixelmator Pro (which is available in the latest beta) seems to be more important than CMYK editing.

2019-05-09 17:45:21

Free transform is great, but I need CMYK channel separation for screen printing. When will your developers have this available? Ex-Photoshop user here...

2019-05-10 12:24:20

by Karen Free transform is great, but I need CMYK channel separation for screen printing. When will your developers have this available? Ex-Photoshop user here...
The honest answer is: not sure, at all. This is a pretty specialized printing feature and would require not just CMYK color support, but also custom channel separation, and a few other things. Specialized print features really aren't a huge priority at this time because Pixelmator Pro is designed with a somewhat different purpose in mind. We'd love to make everyone happy, we really would. :grinning: But we do have to pick and choose the things to focus on, especially with an app as new as Pixelmator Pro.

2019-07-24 07:24:46

by Andrius 2019-04-23 05:46:02
It's actually lined up for Pixelmator Pro Ultimate – Print Edition™. On a more serious note, could you tell me a little more about your print workflows at the moment? How do you go about preparing your images? Do you print them at print shops or at home? If it's at a print shop, what kind of specs do the printers require for the images in terms of file formats and ICC profiles? Would love to get some more info so that if/when we do add some form of CMYK support, we can have as many of our users' workflows in mind as possible.
Can we expect layout (DTP) features in Pixelmator Pro Ultimate? :smile:

2019-07-24 07:29:11

by Andrius 2018-08-23 06:52:14 It kind of depends on what you need to deliver to the printer if you're getting this printed at a print shop. Most of the time, you should be able to send an RGB image and have the printers convert it to CMYK for you. The original Pixelmator (what you have) has a soft proofing feature, which lets you see what your image will look like after it is converted to a specific CMYK profile. Usually, if you are soft proofing with the exact profile which will be used for printing, you'll get accurate colors in the printed image after it is converted to CMYK.

As for Pixelmator Pro — it can convert to CMYK upon exporting but, without soft proofing, there isn't an easy way to see what the CMYK version will look like while you're editing. So it's probably not the best option for preparing images for print at the moment. However, a soft proofing feature is definitely in our plans for Pixelmator Pro!
Softproofing is just fine. No need of CMYK profile at all. Maybe if you plan adding layout features in the future.

2019-07-24 13:44:07

Understood, Petar, CMYK soft-proofing support is still on our roadmap. :pray:

2019-08-11 17:31:16

About 6 years ago when moving onto a new MacbookPro, I explored the newest versions of Adobe print apps. I was astounded at how the pricing changed so I opted to purchase the download set which was available for the last time. Adobe rep was not correct and not all worked with Retina display. I deleted and received a refund. At this point, and despite that I trained on Adobes, I decided to boycott Adobe products because I feel they priced excessively for independent designers and photographers.

I'm retired, but occasionally do some graphics in which I'm getting along surprisingly well with desktop capabilities in Apple's Pages, Pixelmator, Inkscape, PDF element - meaning RGB is going a long way. But now I need CMYK for a printed journal and it's looking like I'll have to find other output options with the journal.
Just know - there is life beyond Adobe.....almost. If you happen to talk to Apple....feel free to mention to them, too!!

2019-08-11 19:54:03

I think Affinity Photo can solve your problem with CMYK. Pixelmator Pro is great, but one cannot be great at everything.

2019-09-04 08:16:46

I project is coming up for for me. Regarding printing. Its not urgent but it would be great to have a soft proofing feature. How likely would it be if this feature is implemented in the next 6 month, thanks?

2019-09-04 08:27:54

Hi ResLes!

As much as you do, I am looking forward to that answer.

2019-09-04 11:41:43

Soft proofing is in development and it's coming in one of the next few updates — it is highly likely it will be implemented in the next 6 months and probably sooner.

2019-09-04 11:56:23

You and your team are great, no greater, no the greatest!

2019-09-04 12:47:20

Thanks Andrius. That was very helpful. Amazing. Looking forward to it.

2019-10-25 15:53:34

Some good news for everyone (or at least most people) in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=17244

:raised_hands:

2019-10-25 15:54:57

WONDERFUL!!

2020-02-26 12:54:22

by Karen 2019-05-09 17:45:21 Free transform is great, but I need CMYK channel separation for screen printing. When will your developers have this available? Ex-Photoshop user here...
I agree. In fact we need more than CMYK for special colours such as varnishes or spot colours.

Is the Pixel Pro Print Edition really in the works, I wonder?

2020-02-26 13:22:31

by Mark Tennent 2020-02-26 09:55:34
I agree. In fact we need more than CMYK for special colours such as varnishes or spot colours.
For now, that would probably be considered to be too specialized for Pixelmator Pro. That doesn't necessarily mean we won't ever add it but as long as there are more commonly-requested features and improvements on the horizon, we'll focus on those.
by Mark Tennent 2020-02-26 09:55:34
Is the Pixel Pro Print Edition really in the works, I wonder?
That was some light-hearted sarcasm on my part in response to the comment about a "Pixelmator Pro Pro". Apologies for not making that clearer. :smile:

2020-02-26 15:05:08

Thanks Andrius! Everything OK!

2020-11-25 15:23:32

Even though I really like Pixelmator Pro 2 - I can't understand why they named it "Pro", when it is not possible to edit in CMYK, or use LUTs.

As a professional designer, I use these every day, and so do most of the other designers I know. :disappointed: