Pixelmator updates

Discuss Pixelmator for iOS and mobile image editing.

2019-04-10 03:36:13

I love Pixelmator and was looking forward to the new Photos version but it’s not what I was hoping for. I’m content to stick with the original Pixelmator but would love to see a few changes/additions. Will you continue to support the older version and update it with new features or will it be phased out? I would love to have custom crop sizes, masks, gradients and the ability to adjust individual color channels. I know Photos has most of these features but they can only be applied globally. I need the selections tool most importantly.

2019-04-10 09:47:13

The honest answer is we aren't entirely sure. We're not planning to retire the original Pixelmator without any alternatives and it will continue receiving updates as it has done. Right now, a Pixelmator Pro for iPad isn't quite on the roadmap for a few reasons, the main one being that we wouldn't be able to bring the full Pixelmator Pro experience to iPad. And bringing something less than that doesn't seem worthwhile. With Pixelmator Photo, we have an opportunity to create a fantastic photo editor with practically no compromises on experience (or at least very few). That's pretty much the holy grail for any app. Selections/local editing will most likely become a part of that someday. Layer-based editing has a different set of challenges especially for an app that has such a diverse set of features like Pixelmator Pro. One other option for us is to work on improving the workflow/interaction between Pixelmator Photo and Pixelmator for iOS, which is a possibility. I know that doesn't provide a definitive answer but it's probably the most accurate assessment of the situation as it stands.

2019-04-15 14:40:08

Hi Andrius,

Does this mean that Pixelmator for iOS is still priority for you? On MacOS you focus is on Pixelmator Pro (and rightfully so in my opinion); however, on iOS, Pixelmator is still way to go along with Pixelmator Photo, right?

2019-04-19 14:34:28

"One other option for us is to work on improving the workflow/interaction between Pixelmator Photo and Pixelmator for iOS, which is a possibility."

Good. Maybe from Photo there can be an 'Export' or 'Move To' Pixelmator iOS? Or a split screen so I can drag from Photo into iOS?

For now I am modifying photos in Photo, saving to Camera Roll and opening in Pixelmator iOS but the added integration would feel nice.

If you decide to keep the apps separate, maybe you can enhance iOS font features (font in a circle or on a path, sliders to stretch fonts up, down, sideways, etc.). I also think making iOS a better layout app (like Adobe Comp but different) would help me compose layouts. Just some initial thoughts. Honestly, I'd like to have as much of Pixelmator Pro on my iPad Pro as possible.

Please keep up the good work.

2019-04-19 15:45:09

While I'm asking, I'd also like to see the ability to move thumbnails around in iOS. When I illustrate my books I'd like to be able to open the folder and drag thumbnails into page order.

Jeff

2019-04-24 11:25:39

by Jeff Feith 2019-04-19 14:34:28 "One other option for us is to work on improving the workflow/interaction between Pixelmator Photo and Pixelmator for iOS, which is a possibility."

Good. Maybe from Photo there can be an 'Export' or 'Move To' Pixelmator iOS? Or a split screen so I can drag from Photo into iOS?

For now I am modifying photos in Photo, saving to Camera Roll and opening in Pixelmator iOS but the added integration would feel nice.

If you decide to keep the apps separate, maybe you can enhance iOS font features (font in a circle or on a path, sliders to stretch fonts up, down, sideways, etc.). I also think making iOS a better layout app (like Adobe Comp but different) would help me compose layouts. Just some initial thoughts. Honestly, I'd like to have as much of Pixelmator Pro on my iPad Pro as possible.

Please keep up the good work.
Honestly, we can't really promise all that much at this moment in time but those are all solid requests. We would, of course, love to bring over as much of Pixelmator Pro to iPad as possible, though we're starting with the photo editing tools.
by Jeff Feith 2019-04-19 15:45:09 While I'm asking, I'd also like to see the ability to move thumbnails around in iOS. When I illustrate my books I'd like to be able to open the folder and drag thumbnails into page order.

Jeff
Not 100% sure what you mean by this, do you mean moving around layers in the layer list? Or would you like to open multiple documents in a single image at once?

2019-05-29 02:13:21

unfortunately i bought pixelmator for iOS because i was told its like photoshop. now i'm realizing that i can't even import sony arw raw photos. i would need pixelmator photos for that. i think. but i also needed ability for layers and to overlay text. which photos can't do. so frustrating. i know the easy solution is to just buy pixelmator photos but those two apps are so similar but lacking just a few things from the other

2019-10-06 16:09:16

Is Pixelmator for iOS getting any love still?

I've dumped my iPad Pro because it doesn't fullfill the mobile experience I was hoping for. I still keep returning to my iPhone Max because it is just the device I carry in my pocket every single day. Because I shoot all my photo's on my phone I don't understand why Pixelmator for iOS (iPhone) doesn't get so much love any more. Why not edit the photo's on the device where You shoot them on???

I'm sad to say that at this moment I'm losing interest in Pixelmator for iOS as a whole, because the focus is not on this very good piece of software anymore so it seems.

I think the most people using apple products are iPhone users, not iPad or Mac users. That's why I think Pixelmator for iOS (read iPhone) should get much much more love from the Pixelmator team.