Pixelmator Photo now available for pre-order, coming April 9th

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2019-04-02 13:41:12

The date is set. On April 9th, the incredible, AI-powered Pixelmator Photo will be released on the App Store. And you can make sure Pixelmator Photo makes its way onto your iPad the second it becomes available by pre-ordering it today. If you want a little taste of what the app’s about, check out this short video we whipped up.

The initial price of Pixelmator Photo will be $4.99. That’s a one-time purchase. No subscriptions and no in-app purchases for additional tools. And, for pre-orders, we’re knocking 20% off the price so you can get it for $3.99. $3.99!

All the feedback we’ve had over the beta period has us incredibly excited for the release as well as the future of Pixelmator Photo — the future of photo editing on iPad. If you have an iPad and take photos, Pixelmator Photo is a must-have. Just 7 short days to go until you can all get your hands on it. We can’t wait.

Pre-Order

2019-04-02 14:13:19

I'd want this. Trying to pre-order tells me that the app requires features not available on my device, an iPad mini 4th generation.

What features are these?

2019-04-02 14:18:49

It's mostly down to the fact that we can't separate that iPad mini model from some of the older ones and we want everyone who is able to buy the app to have the best experience possible. So the cut-off is a little more aggressive than we would've liked, but it's to ensure everyone with the app has a great experience.

2019-04-02 14:36:24

For iPhone XR too?

2019-04-02 14:46:09

It's iPad-only for now, but we'll see what the future brings!

2019-04-02 14:49:34

Seems really nice like all your apps!

Would like to post a review of Pixelmator Photo on my blog here: https://numericcitizen.me
Please get in touch with me on Twitter: @numericcitizen

2019-04-02 14:51:16

Seems a nice new app. What is exactly the difference between this app and the existing Pixelmator for iPad/iPhone? I got that one (and the Pro version for macOS)

2019-04-02 14:58:00

by Michael_vB 2019-04-02 11:52:17 Seems a nice new app. What is exactly the difference between this app and the existing Pixelmator for iPad/iPhone? I got that one (and the Pro version for macOS)
Pixelmator Photo is focused around photo editing and RAW editing in particular, so it's all about making photos look great. Pixelmator is a layer-based image editor, so it's more geared towards creating designs, compositing images, stuff like that.

2019-04-02 16:19:21

So no layers support? What about adjustment layers?
Also, does it have something similar to liquify (distort tools)?

2019-04-02 16:22:19

Does it have lens correction and distortion options for making buildings look straight?

2019-04-02 16:26:14

Hi..I am trying to pre-order but giving me the error : "This app requires specific features not available on this device"

My device is :
Model Name : Ipad Air-2
Model Number : MGTY2ZP/A
Software Version : 12.2

Please let me know the compatibility...

Thanks

2019-04-02 16:39:27

by AbsarF 2019-04-02 16:28:58
Please let me know the compatibility...

Thanks
Sorry, afraid not compatible with the Air-2....

Info from the App Store page:
Compatible with
12.9-inch iPad Pro,
12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular,
9.7-inch iPad Pro,
9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular,
iPad (5th generation),
iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation),
12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation),
12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation),
10.5-inch iPad Pro,
10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation),
iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation),
iPad Pro (11-inch),
iPad Pro (11-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular,
iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and
iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular

2019-04-02 16:41:35

Yes, just as I mentioned above for certain iPad mini models, we can't separate the iPad Air 2 from the first iPad Air and we want everyone who is able to buy the app to have the best experience possible. So, again, the cut-off is a little more aggressive than we would've liked, but it's to ensure everyone with the app has a great experience.

2019-04-02 16:42:09

by ShenMue3 2019-04-02 13:22:51 Does it have lens correction and distortion options for making buildings look straight?
Perspective correction is available, absolutely!

2019-04-02 17:06:46

Is there a list of compatible cameras and RAW formats?

2019-04-02 17:47:38

by mswhalen 2019-04-02 14:06:53 Is there a list of compatible cameras and RAW formats?
Yes, Pixelmator Photo supports the RAW photos from every device supported by your version of iOS. Here's the list for iOS 12:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208967

2019-04-02 17:52:25

Andrius- So, are there things that you can do to photos in Pixelmator Photo that you can’t do to photos in Pixelmator for iOS? Does one need Pixelmator Photo if one already has Pixelmator for iOS or Pixelmator Pro? Sorry if I seem to be asking the same question twice, but your first response to a similar question above was a little vague. Also, any update on Pixelmator Pro for iPad Pro? Thanks!

2019-04-02 18:22:13

by Mwolfe 2019-04-01 21:00:00 Andrius- So, are there things that you can do to photos in Pixelmator Photo that you can’t do to photos in Pixelmator for iOS? Does one need Pixelmator Photo if one already has Pixelmator for iOS or Pixelmator Pro? Sorry if I seem to be asking the same question twice, but your first response to a similar question above was a little vague. Also, any update on Pixelmator Pro for iPad Pro? Thanks!
Well, if you're familiar with other apps in this sphere, the simplest and most obvious comparison is this: Pixelmator is a layer-based editor (kinda like Photoshop). Pixelmator Photo is a photo editor for single layer images (kinda like Lightroom). Pixelmator Photo also has a completely nondestructive workflow so if you apply certain adjustments, repair some parts of an image, crop it, etc., you can always go back and undo or adjust each change. That's what makes it so powerful for photo editing in particular.

And that actually brings me to an interesting point about Pixelmator Pro. We had been working on it for a while but a big part of what makes Pixelmator Pro so special is its nondestructivenes. So you can apply adjustments, effects, styles, etc, to layers and go back to readjust those changes later on. We weren't satisfied with being unable to bring this over to iPad but, in the process, created Pixelmator Photo which actually doesn't compromise in any way on the nondestructive front. So for now, Pixelmator Pro for iPad is on hold but we'll also see what the future brings because we would, of course, love to bring it to iPad as well.

2019-04-02 18:43:45

Thanks so much for your prompt response! The images and photos that I edit/create in Pixelmator for iOS appear to be non-destructive. Are they not? I go back and edit/re-edit and revert to original images all the time in the app. What new editing features and tools will I gain with Pixelmator Photo to make my photos even better, as compared to the photos that I can edit in the original app? Better filters? AI enhanced filters? I watched the promo video but didn’t see anything strikingly new. ??? Again, thanks!

2019-04-02 18:49:36

Is there anyway to pre-order without having the supported device?

2019-04-02 19:59:53

I want to be clear on a point, does this new App, edit the RAW data, or are RAW files, converted to .jpgs or TIFFs prior to editing.....

Real pity about the Mini4 not being support, the laminated screen and colour gamut make it one of the better image editing iPads, although small, it is very good.

I certainly understand that there are advances in display technology, that the Mini4 does not support, and the A7 is aged... but until a month or so ago it was still a current Apple product, now replaced by the Mini5.

I hope there will be some flexibility in the cutoff ... and the Mini4 might be included in the future, technology permitting.

2019-04-02 20:12:54

by Mwolfe 2019-04-02 18:43:45 Thanks so much for your prompt response! The images and photos that I edit/create in Pixelmator for iOS appear to be non-destructive. Are they not? I go back and edit/re-edit and revert to original images all the time in the app. What new editing features and tools will I gain with Pixelmator Photo to make my photos even better, as compared to the photos that I can edit in the original app? Better filters? AI enhanced filters? I watched the promo video but didn’t see anything strikingly new. ??? Again, thanks!
Well, they're nondestructive to a degree — I mean, the layers are separate, for example. But let's say you adjust the colors, repair or clone part of the photo, those edits are merged onto the photo. You can undo your changes, but you wouldn't be able to undo just a particular change without undoing the others. It's not a particularly big issue for most workflows but when you're working with photos, it's great to be able to adjust certain things independently of other things.

The presets in Pixelmator Photo have also been designed specifically for photos, so they're based on analog photographic films and others are created for particular styles of photographs — landscape, urban, night photography, etc. Plus, they're adjustment presets, so they apply a specific set of adjustments to get those looks, so you see every change and can fine-tune them yourself. The AI stuff refers to things like ML Enhance, which is available in Pixelmator Pro. Basically, that's a Core ML-powered machine learning algorithm trained on 20 million professional photos that enhances photos like a pro photographer. There's also an ML Crop feature, that automatically crops photos to improve their composition.

Oh, also, there's quite a few additional and improved color adjustments, like Selective Color, Color Balance, Fade, Grain, there's a live histogram, and the app works directly with the high dynamic range RAW data. That's just a few things, but there's quite a lot more, to be honest.
by siggi 2019-04-02 18:49:36 Is there anyway to pre-order without having the supported device?
Unfortunately not. :disappointed:
by old_mac 2019-04-02 17:04:22 I want to be clear on a point, does this new App, edit the RAW data, or are RAW files, converted to .jpgs or TIFFs prior to editing.....

Real pity about the Mini4 not being support, the laminated screen and colour gamut make it one of the better image editing iPads, although small, it is very good.

I certainly understand that there are advances in display technology, that the Mini4 does not support, and the A7 is aged... but until a month or so ago it was still a current Apple product, now replaced by the Mini5.

I hope there will be some flexibility in the cutoff ... and the Mini4 might be included in the future, technology permitting.
Yes, there's no issue with the iPad mini 4 itself, actually, it's just that if we supported the mini 4, we'd have to support at least the 2nd and 3rd minis as well. That's where the trouble starts. We'll see if there's anything else we can do here, though!

2019-04-02 21:21:45

Didn’t expect such a small price, gonna preorder it now after having enjoyed the beta :)

It would be cool to have a Photos extension though, for instance for ML Enhance alone.

2019-04-02 22:22:52

I have a 3rd Gen iPad Pro 12.9” but will also be ordering the new iPad Mini 5.
Question being ~ Does Pixelmator Photo support the Mini 5 and if not then why, it is bang up to date?

2019-04-03 00:00:17

What color spaces are supported?