Feature Request - Layer Search

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-04-16 03:01:48

I think it would be a good help to productivity to be able to search layers. Just a simple search bar at the top or bottom of the layer window that searches the list, this would be very helpful in larger design projects with many layers, even if they are within groups, especially when making revisions or edits to a previously created design...

2018-04-16 08:00:47

I reckon that would be pretty cool! It's now on the feature request list. 🙂

2019-02-12 17:23:37

I think this would help me a lot also.

Apple usually hides the search field at the top of the UI on iOS. this could be enforced in a menu option so that the user has to scroll down purposefully at the top to unhide the field (as some don't need it and it would be clutter), while persistent if desired from the Preferences menu.

If fact, a third method could be considered which is based on a FireFox extension I recall that began searching as soon as text was typed. This would not confuse Pixelmator as the Command key is usually needed to perform a shortcut, and Tools need not be selected as the user would not be on the canvas, so this would be really slick.

2019-02-13 08:11:24

Are you sure you have the latest version of Pixelmator Pro? We actually added this feature in the last major update — here's a screenshot of where it's located:

2019-02-13 16:05:10

Sorry, I tried to not duplicate requests and searched for an existing one beforehand, but I didn't realise that this was in the "Pro" section.

Perhaps you could have a b&w background for the pro forums to discern from the basic?

Anyway, good to see it implemented. Incidentally, what do you think of my requests?

Also, these would be requests for the basic app as well :)

2019-02-15 15:35:53

Tiffin, you've been on a roll with your requests — I can barely keep up! :smile:

I think an easier way to discern the forums sounds like a solid idea, so I'll add that to our ever-growing list of suggestions...

I would just like to add that Pixelmator isn't quite the basic version and Pro isn't a pro-oriented version. Pixelmator Pro is essentially Pixelmator v2, as explained in this blog post:

https://www.pixelmator.com/blog/2018/11 ... mator-pro/

2019-02-15 18:59:21

It sounds like search is done now, can it evolve?

2019-02-15 19:52:17

Poor Andrius 😂

2019-02-15 20:01:53

Well, one of his roles is the community manager is it not, and this the forum to thrash out ideas?

2019-02-16 05:18:04

I wouldn't use the words "trash out".

2019-02-16 08:12:41

by tiffin It sounds like search is done now, can it evolve?
I'm not sure what this is referring to, would you be able to elaborate?
by tiffin Well, one of his roles is the community manager is it not, and this the forum to thrash out ideas?
I think ResLes was only joking — there's nothing that makes me happier than an active (and happy) forum! :smile:

2019-02-16 16:01:33

I had a look at the way in which the search feature was implemented in the "Pro" version of Pixelmator, it's pretty comprehensive, I didn't expect you to have included filters, which was the natural thing to do I suppose, it was a good choice. My original suggestion was more from a UI perspective and how to include such a feature without cluttering the UI, and as your team has already considered how to implement the feature I was wondering if there was a chance that it could be hidden, called into use simply by typing?

Incidentally, I think most people, given a binary choice, when faced with one product clearly defined (and priced) as a premium product, that it only natural to employ the antonym to deduce the other. Perhaps calling Pixelmator "Pro" will always leave other users feeling they have the basic version?

2019-02-18 09:43:34

by tiffin 2019-02-16 16:01:33 I had a look at the way in which the search feature was implemented in the "Pro" version of Pixelmator, it's pretty comprehensive, I didn't expect you to have included filters, which was the natural thing to do I suppose, it was a good choice. My original suggestion was more from a UI perspective and how to include such a feature without cluttering the UI, and as your team has already considered how to implement the feature I was wondering if there was a chance that it could be hidden, called into use simply by typing?
Oh, I see, yes, we've added quite extensive functionality here, though that's kind of our goal — do it right, or don't do it all. :smiley: I wouldn't say the interface is particularly cluttered by the search field at the bottom and the filtering is nicely hidden, so I don't think we'll be changing much here, at least not in the near future. But I'll add your suggestion to our feature request list.
by tiffin 2019-02-16 16:01:33 Incidentally, I think most people, given a binary choice, when faced with one product clearly defined (and priced) as a premium product, that it only natural to employ the antonym to deduce the other. Perhaps calling Pixelmator "Pro" will always leave other users feeling they have the basic version?
I agree with you here so I think, at some point, we'll have to make some decisions about this.