Pixelmator development update

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2018-11-30 14:51:14

Over the past few months, we here at the Pixelmator Team have certainly kept ourselves busy. Around 6 weeks ago we released the second major Pixelmator Pro update this year — 1.2 Quicksilver — and we’ve also just shipped a bigger update to the original Pixelmator, bumping it up to version 3.8.

Pixelmator 3.8 Phoenix
First, let’s chat about the latest update to the original Pixelmator. As you all probably know, our main focus is now Pixelmator Pro (a.k.a. the new Pixelmator). However, we’re well aware that many people still love and use the original Pixelmator every day and it’s now approaching 8 years of free updates on the Mac App Store, which, in itself, is pretty damn amazing! In this update, we’ve added full macOS Mojave support, including some Mojave-only goodies such as dark appearances for various windows and dialogs, accent color support, colorful SVG fonts, and Continuity Camera support. Naturally, we’ve also included a range of stability fixes and improvements to keep Pixelmator running smoothly.

Pixelmator Pro 1.2.3 and the upcoming 1.2.4 update
In case we don’t say it enough, we’re all very excited about the updates we’ve been shipping to Pixelmator Pro as well as the updates we’ve got lined up for the future. The 1.2.3 update is mostly focused around painting improvements and you can now import ABR brushes into Pixelmator Pro. These features and improvements may not sound like a huge deal on their own, but changes like this make everything that little bit smoother and when you combine several such updates, it improves the overall experience a whole lot.

The next update to Pixelmator Pro will be version 1.2.4, which we’re planning to release next week. It’s going to bring a few more new features that you’ve been asking for and several really cool things that we dreamed up ourselves. One of those things is the video editing-style color wheels. You can see them live in this quick sneak peek on our Twitter profile. It may well be the most fun and intuitive way to change the mood and feel of a photo and it’s going to make the already-great photo editing tools even better. Another thing coming in 1.2.4 is resizing algorithms. We’ll be adding three for now, but we’ll see how things go and may add more in the future. Along with these two features, there’s also improved Grain quality, new Automator actions, and some interface tweaks, which would almost be enough to call this a major update, but…

Christmas is coming early this year
We’ve given ourselves a goal of shipping Pixelmator Pro 1.3 — the third major Pixelmator Pro update this year — before Christmas, so we can have a well-deserved rest over the holiday period. It’s going to be a little tricky but, for now, we’re on the right track and, if there are no major setbacks, you’ll have it before the holidays. Stay tuned for some sneak peeks in the coming weeks!

P.S. We’re also doing our very best to release Pixelmator Photo before the year is out, but as is almost always the case, new products take more time than you think, even when you think you’ve given yourself more than enough. BUT! A public TestFlight beta will be launched in December, also before Christmas. Keep your eyes peeled for sign-ups.

2018-11-30 18:32:08

What about Vectormator?

2018-12-01 10:41:09

Wow, davebarnes comment was published on Nov 31! Amazing. Well, I also ask myself. What happened to Vectormator...

2018-12-03 09:26:43

I received the update trough the App Store, but can't download because of a "different vendor source". I began to use Pixelmator many years ago, perhaps being an early adaptor with a standalone version, but now my Apple account isn't able to update. (changed computers overtime a lot)
You have a solution?

2018-12-03 09:54:51

So in other words: Pixelmator Photo is NOT "..coming later this year.." as stated on the Pixelmator Photo page!?!

Having bought a brand new iPad Pro anticipating your release of this app after having won me over to Pixelmator Pro for Mac from Photoshop this is something that really annoys me since my old MacBook Pro broke down a couple of weeks ago - and since you site stated you would release later this year (and you still do) I went with iPad Pro.

Guess I'll go back to Adobe, then

2018-12-03 10:01:01

by davebarnes 2018-11-30 18:32:08 What about Vectormator?
by Republiken 2018-12-01 10:41:09 Wow, davebarnes comment was published on Nov 31! Amazing. Well, I also ask myself. What happened to Vectormator...
Oof, Vectormator was a very, err..., optimistically revealed product. As happy as we are with the way Pixelmator Pro has progressed over the past year, we still have a very long list of features and improvements we feel it's key to implement to make Pixelmator Pro the kind of app we all want it to be. So, nothing really happened to Vectormator because it was always more of an idea rather than a concrete plan. However, it's not out of the question for the long-term future.
by AbSier 2018-12-03 06:34:39 I received the update trough the App Store, but can't download because of a "different vendor source". I began to use Pixelmator many years ago, perhaps being an early adaptor with a standalone version, but now my Apple account isn't able to update. (changed computers overtime a lot)
You have a solution?
Could you email us at support@pixelmator.com about this? We can share a promo code with you.
by Tonny Bukdahl 2018-12-03 06:55:06 So in other words: Pixelmator Photo is NOT "..coming later this year.." as stated on the Pixelmator Photo page!?!

Having bought a brand new iPad Pro anticipating your release of this app after having won me over to Pixelmator Pro for Mac from Photoshop this is something that really annoys me since my old MacBook Pro broke down a couple of weeks ago - and since you site stated you would release later this year (and you still do) I went with iPad Pro.

Guess I'll go back to Adobe, then
Pixelmator Photo is a separate app from Pixelmator Pro, so it may not be quite what you're looking for on the iPad, but how about we send you a personal TestFlight invite once the beta goes live? Drop me an email at andriusg@pixelmator.com and I'll make sure you receive it. :wink:

P.S. The last thing we want to do is ship an app that isn't ready. The extra time we're taking is because of a few additional features we decided to add last minute and because we're spending extra time squeezing maximum performance out of the app.

2018-12-07 16:26:52

Pixelmator Photo is a separate app from Pixelmator Pro, so it may not be quite what you're looking for on the iPad
Really? I was under the impression that Pixelmator Pro would release for iPad and that the Photo was it.
Would the Pro release, then, for iPad?
how about we send you a personal TestFlight invite once the beta goes live?
Thank you - I'd love to, am using Pixelmator for iOS right now but it only gets me so far before I run out of further edit options / tools
The last thing we want to do is ship an app that isn't ready
This makes perfect sense, actually - I guess I just really miss some kind of update on the release stae :neutral_face:

2018-12-10 08:18:54

by Tonny Bukdahl 2018-12-07 16:26:52 Really? I was under the impression that Pixelmator Pro would release for iPad and that the Photo was it.
Would the Pro release, then, for iPad?
Well, we tried to clear this up and say the Pixelmator Photo is not Pixelmator Pro for iPad, though the icon seems to be a little misleading here and we might actually switch that up before the release.
This makes perfect sense, actually - I guess I just really miss some kind of update on the release stae :neutral_face:
Fair — maybe with the release of the public beta, we might have some time to whip up a quick explanatory blog post. :pray:

2018-12-17 16:43:34

I hope in Pixelmator Photo you can do the same detailed raw editing as you can do in Raw Power. The basic editing from Apple you see in their Photos simply is not good enough. I suggest you work with Gentlemen Coders or license their raw editing extensions to create a very powerful IOS based raw editing and effects app.

2018-12-18 13:27:07

by Michael Anderson I hope in Pixelmator Photo you can do the same detailed raw editing as you can do in Raw Power. The basic editing from Apple you see in their Photos simply is not good enough. I suggest you work with Gentlemen Coders or license their raw editing extensions to create a very powerful IOS based raw editing and effects app.
And also add a noise reduction tool please otherwise there is not a big difference between PPhoto and darkroom for ipad

2018-12-18 14:40:57

Feature requests noted — we have some plans for things like noise removal, clarity, and other cool RAW editing stuff for both Pixelmator Photo and Pixelmator Pro on the Mac! :raised_hands: