Revert to Saved

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-01-13 18:35:08

Not using Time Machine, my Revert capabilities are non-existent. Is there some way we could get a Revert to Save like in the pre-Time Machine day? I know with Autosave that the notion of last saved version is ambiguous, but something be done to resolve this issue? I know something would be possible because a Close without Save followed by a Open preforms the revert.

Confidence of something happening: Very low

2018-01-21 05:28:01

In my File menu I see a "Revert to Saved" option, right under "Save As..." and above "Export..."

2018-01-23 05:19:12

I have it there, too. Only problem is I don’t use Time Machine, so Revert to Save is greyed out.

2018-01-23 18:57:19

I'm not sure if you've got your finger aimed at the right culprit. What makes you think that Time Machine is related to the behaviour of Revert To Saved?

I've tried toggling Time Machine off, and various combinations of the "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" and "Close windows when quitting an app" system prefs (which, to the best of my knowledge, influence the Versions / Auto Save features) and it seemingly didn't have any effect on the Revert To Saved menu option. It always works for me.

Did you, on the off chance, disable something at a lower level? Eg: by using the Terminal to change some plist somewhere, or using the Secrets pref pane?

2018-01-23 20:13:48

by Ivan Reese 2018-01-23 19:00:23 I'm not sure if you've got your finger aimed at the right culprit. What makes you think that Time Machine is related to the behaviour of Revert To Saved?
Though I know of the dark underworld, I don't use it. To Windows-zie for me.

After a brief look on my end, Revert to Save… works for the most part, except the way I am using it. I am trying to edit from Aperture.

Here's what I found.

Edit from Photos, both Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro-Works as expected.
(Note: When the Image open in P or PP, initially Revert to Save… is Grayed (as expected). As soon as I do an edit, Revert to Save…" becomes available.)
(Note 2: Saving Back to Photos works with ⌘S. The file is directly saved, as if you where saving an edited file and not requiring Save As… replace file request.)
(Note 3:The edited file shows up in the Open Recent ➧ menu.)

Edit from Aperture, both Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro- Does not work.
(Note: When the Image open in P or PP, initially Revert to Save is Grayed. With edits,
Revert to Save…[/b] never becomes available.)
(Note 2: Saving back to Aperture with ⌘S, brings up a Save Dialog, trying to save it as a pxd format, to the desktop folder. Saving back to Aperture with ⌘E, brings up a Save Dialog with the right name, extension, and file location and the process goes through the If you want to Replace question. )
(Note 3:The edited file never shows up in the Open Recent ➧ menu.)

The Photos Library is a direct descendent of the Aperture/iPhoto Library, so I thought they would work the same.

2018-01-24 06:57:35

by imagladry
I am trying to edit from Aperture.
That will most probably be behind these issues (as Aperture has been discontinued, we haven't added support for it). Just to clarify, are you missing the Revert to Save command in Aperture rather than Pixelmator Pro? And are you comparing it with the Revert to Original command in the Photos app? Just want to make sure we're on the same page in terms of apps and features.

2018-01-24 14:50:28

To clarify, I an invoking the edit of the image from Aperture and Photos in Pixelmator Pro. From Photos, I am invoking Image>>Edit>>Pixelmator Pro. From Aperture, I am invoking ⇧⌘O, which opens the image in the specified external editor and that being Pixelmator Pro. The Revert to Save…issue happens within Pixelmator Pro.

I would have thought that since the underlining database from Aperture and Photo are nearly identical, that if it worked from Photos, it would work from Aperture. Obviously, that is not the case. The "Revert to Save…" issue also happens when invoking Pixelmator from Aperture.

By guess is that this will not be considered a large enough issue and unfortunately, I won't have Revert to Save… in Pixelmatr and Pixelmator Pro from Aperture. I understand but it still saddens me.