Creating a circular logo

A place to talk about anything else with other Pixelmator users.

2018-04-29 10:08:51

Hi there,

I would like to ask for advice and guidance on how best to create a black on white circular logofor my current project.

I have very basic skills in this arena and am learning as I go?

Secondly is the Pixelmator Pro worth the upgrade and how different is it in comparison to the older standard version

Kind regards

Declan

2018-04-29 13:17:44

Hi Declan.

Almost everyone approaches work like this differently. I come from a vector background so I tend to rely heavily on the shape tools, paticularly when working on something as starkly graphic as a logo. I'll often sketch with a brush first, knowing that the sketches will be removed or made invisible in the final product.

Bear in mind that, if the logo isused at very different sizes then you may need to create multiple versions. Fine detail that looks good on a large print version may get lost in a smaller web version. Detail that looks good at web may look overly simplistic on print copy.

First I make a guess as to how big to make the image. A print logo 3 inches across at 300ppi will need at least 900px square. I'm happy working at a few thousand and downsizing or recreating at a smaller size when I know what the logo willlook like.

That said, the next step is to play. If you work best on paper, you may end up with lots of crumpled bits of paper. I work best on a computer so I end up with a load of layers and shapes that will ultimately get discarded on the journey to find what works. I'll grab bits of clip art and other logos and put those in the mix as inspiration and to see if certain shapes work. Out of the play, logo ideas will emerge and be refined.

The golden rule is 'Do what works.' Start with a white circle and sketch on top of that. You'll know when you find what works for you.

As regards Pixelmator Pro, this has split the community a bit. My take is that Pixelmator Pro was released very early with many features missing and is being developed iteratively with features being added with each release. This has led some people to be disappointed with the feature-set of Pixelmator Pro. I've been a long-time user of Classic Pixelmator and have used it so much and enjoyed it so much that the guys at Pixelmator have built up a large store of goodwill with me. I'm quite happy to accept this approach of releasing Pixelmator Pro.

The main differences are:
* the user interface: Classic Pixelmator has lots of palettes, Pixelmator Pro has a single window with all tools attached to it. I work on a laptop so the tidy interface helps a lot.
* the layer effects: most of Classic Pixelmator's effects are permanent. This led me to create copies of layers as a backup before I applied effects. Pixelmator Pro's effects can be edited and removed at any stage so I don't need those backup layers.
* the engine: Under the hood they work very differently. I've butted my head against this a couple of times when colour tools in Pixelmator Pro haven't worked as I have expected. I'm still in a period of adjustment on his one.

They're both very capable and I'd recommend either. The community here and on the discord server (https://discord.gg/wsJukbr) are both pretty friendly. Enjoy.

- Stef.

2018-04-29 13:31:41

Wow, what a comprehensive reply. Thank you kindly, Stef. I used to work with a very competent Photoshop Designer but he has left the building and is careering elsewhere. So I am fumbling my way through Pixelmator and based on what you describe I shall stay with what I've got for the moment. It's tedious alone I find as I am not really a computer tech head, my background is painting and filmmaking.
However, I have always designed and had a tech pro execute the work. This is a new challenge and it is exciting when the time is available to follow tutorials online.

I have a very distinctive image for this logo and have just tried to break it down into a drawing using the effects palette. It has appeal but I need to get the text underneath the image curved....heeellllpppppp :smiley:

2018-04-29 13:47:43

Ah. Text on a path. Neither Classic Pixelmator nor Pixelmator Pro can do this at the moment. Your options are either:
Find an app that does and paste the curved text back. I've used ArtText3. It doesn't always do exactly what I want but it gets close.
Do it manually. I've done this (possibly because I'm a glutton for punishment, possibly because I like the control of adjusting each letter).

If you want to do it manually, create your text and make sure that everything is spelled correctly and the font is exactly what you want.
Select the text and use Layer > Convert into Shape.
With the Move tool selected (V), double-click on a letter. You will now be able to move, and with the ⌘ key be able to rotate the letter.

2018-04-29 14:17:13

Brilliant stuff I have a project for the evening Steff. Check out www.sourcetosea.ie Its the T-shirt design logo for this project?

I am nearly finished the poster which was yesterdays challenge. I haven't that released yet publicly. If you are on messenger FB I can forward same.

Will try your tips later. www.declanomahony.com will give you a better idea of my formative artistic work

Thank a mill.

Declan

2018-04-29 14:36:39

No worries.

I've just had a look at the sourcetosea website. What an awesome idea. I love it.

Have fun with the logo. I'd love to see how it turns out.

- Stef.

2018-04-29 19:13:29

will do ...cheers for all your advice. Declan

2018-04-29 21:03:11

Hi Stef

That worked a treat. I will need to fine tue one or two letters tomorrow but your advice was spot on Thanks a million. Declan

I'll be posting online once the printer can handle the detail? Cheers.

2018-04-30 18:57:38

Hi Declan.

Glad to hear it's all working well. Happy to help.

- Stef.