How do I make text completely transparent?

A place to talk about anything else with other Pixelmator users.

2018-04-16 17:08:58

I am making labels for a product and want a black background but with completely transparent text so that the product colour shows through the text. How do I make my text completely transparent with a black background around it?

2018-04-16 21:41:24

Hi Melissa,

I'm not sure which Pixelmator product you are using so I will try to give you a short step by step tutorial on how to do this in Pixelmator Pro at the same time this method will work more or less the same in Pixelmator Classic.

1) Create the following layers from top to bottom: 1 - the layer with the product colours, 2 - the black background, 3 - Your text.

2) Select the text/type layer in the layers overview. Then chose Load Selection from the Edit menu. This will make a selection of the text.

3) Select the black background layer and ctrl+click on it. From the menu that appears you should choose Add Mask.

4) As you can see this doesn't give you the result you want. We have to invert the mask. If the mask isn't selected already, just click on it to select it. Then hit the cmd+I keys to invert the image.

5) Hide the text/type layer (top most layer) by clicking on the eye icon on the right of the layer name.

2018-04-17 09:07:50

Some good advice by Sebastiaan there, but there's another way pretty quick way to do this in Pixelmator Pro. Here are the steps:

1. Fille your background layer with the color black using the Color fill effect (Insert > Effects > Color).
2. Add some text to your image (Insert > Text) and customize it using the Type tool (Tools > Type).
3. With the text layer selected, insert the Image fill effect (Insert > Effects > Image). Then, drag the image with which you'd like to fill the text into the effect options in the Tool Options pane.

2018-04-18 20:39:21

Thanks Sebastian. I can see why in theory this would work, but I followed step by step and the black background disappears when I add the mask. Any suggestions?

Andrius - thank you for the suggestion. I don't want to fill the text with anything, I want it to remain transparent when printed on clear labels.Image

2018-04-18 21:54:17

Hi Melissa. I see you use Pixelmator Classic. However the steps I mentioned stay the same. There was one thing I was forgetting and that is after step 3, you should deselect the selection. You can use CMD+D for that. If you then invert the mask as described in point 4 you should be good to go.