Make Transparent Clipping Mask?

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2018-01-05 15:15:28

Hi, I have a simple end screen (orange wallpaper) for my youtube channel. I want to make a small heart shape and use this as a "cookie cutter" to cut out a heart shape so that the final product would should the orange end screen with a transparent area shaped in a heart. This way, I'll be able to put some looping light video beneath this end screen in Final Cut Pro. Could anyone help me?

2018-01-08 11:10:12

The easiest way to achieve this is probably using a regular mask, rather than a clipping mask. The steps would be as follows:

1. Add a heart shape to your image
2. With the heart layer selected, choose Edit > Load Selection
3. Choose Edit > Invert Selection
4. In the Layers palette, Control-click the layer you'd like to mask and choose Add Mask
5. Choose Edit > Deselect All, then hide the original heart shape

There may be a simpler way of doing this, but that's all I can think of at the moment — hope it helps!

2018-01-08 16:59:55

Thanks so much! This is really useful!
by Andrius The easiest way to achieve this is probably using a regular mask, rather than a clipping mask. The steps would be as follows:

1. Add a heart shape to your image
2. With the heart layer selected, choose Edit > Load Selection
3. Choose Edit > Invert Selection
4. In the Layers palette, Control-click the layer you'd like to mask and choose Add Mask
5. Choose Edit > Deselect All, then hide the original heart shape

There may be a simpler way of doing this, but that's all I can think of at the moment — hope it helps!