Export as print-ready PDF/X-1a?

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2017-05-22 17:59:03

I designed a flyer in Pixelmator and now the printer is asking for it in press-readyPDF (probablyPDF/X-1a), with bleed, and in CMYK.

How can I export from Pixelmator in this format? I know Pixelmator can export as PDF but not as press-ready. I've googled for this extensively and can't find any tips (short of buying/renting Acrobat and then having to learn it). Does anyone have any other tips?

2017-05-24 16:01:52

Pixelmator doesn't do CMYK. This has been discussed before but any good printer should be able to correctly convert to CMYK for you on the fly.

Though not tested you could try the following:

In Pixelmator
1) Choose print from the file menu
2) From the PDF pull down menu, choose Open PDF in Preview

In Preview
3) Choose Export from the File menu
4) Choose PDF as the format
5) Under Quartz-filter choose: Create Generic PDFX-3 Document

Let us know if this does the trick for your printer.

2017-10-02 10:15:25

Hi there,
"Pixelmator doesn't doCMYK."

This would mean that I can not select 80% Yellow and 10% cyan, and hope to separate to film/plate for print work.

If Pixelmator supported this, with some basic ink profiles, I guess it would be possible to replace Photoshop for many, but I no longer do any print work, I assume many also do not... So it will always be 'that' feature than never made it ;)

But I do wonder when looking at Pro 1.0, and the example text layouts, is this not somehow a print direction?

2018-06-03 18:27:28

by therealgeeves 2017-10-02 10:15:25 Hi there,"Pixelmator doesn't doCMYK."This would mean that I can not select 80% Yellow and 10% cyan, and hope to separate to film/plate for print work.If Pixelmator supported this, with some basic ink profiles, I guess it would be possible to replace Photoshop for many, but I no longer do any print work, I assume many also do not... So it will always be 'that' feature than never made it ;)But I do wonder when looking at Pro 1.0, and the example text layouts, is this not somehow a print direction?
I am also facing this issue.The CMYK percentage is crucial especially in black color artwork..i.e spill more 240% is not goo for production. :) Wish someone will helps on this..looking fwd.