Missing features: RAW preview/rating, XML sidecar, open format, and (another vote for) local adjustments

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Photo?

2020-06-29 02:04:55

Pixelmator Photo has slowly won me over and I do more and more of my iPad photo editing using the app. It falls short in a few places. Perhaps these can be improved.

1. I don’t know how you do it but Pixelmator Photo has the best “files” interface. I just wish there were a way to quick flip through a directory of images, preview them (preferably in RAW), and rate them. If you don’t want to use Apple Photos for general DAM and you want to avoid Adobe’s lock-in, there aren’t any other good options in iPadOS. I think this could be a cool opportunity for Pixelmator Photos.

2. As follow-up, I’d love to see Pixelmator Photos read/write XML sidecar files for rating and sorting RAW images. I appreciate that once you start editing an image it needs its own .photos file, but perhaps following this industry standard would help integrate your great program into more workflows

3. I’d love it if .photos were an open standard. Right now I love Pixelmator Photo for global adjustments but Pixelmator for iOS doesn’t open the file type either and Pixelmator Pro is Mac OS only. To do local and/or layered edits I need to get the image into Affinity or Photoshop. I’d love to see support for a file type that includes color profiles and the full, uncompressed data. Preferably without creating an intermediary copy like a TIF.

4. Or, local edits and I’d probably never have to leave Pixelmator Photo!

Appreciate the work your team puts into the this great product.

2020-06-29 09:44:07

by JoelR 2020-06-29 02:04:55 Pixelmator Photo has slowly won me over and I do more and more of my iPad photo editing using the app. It falls short in a few places. Perhaps these can be improved.
There's always room for improvement!
by JoelR 2020-06-29 02:04:55 1. I don’t know how you do it but Pixelmator Photo has the best “files” interface. I just wish there were a way to quick flip through a directory of images, preview them (preferably in RAW), and rate them. If you don’t want to use Apple Photos for general DAM and you want to avoid Adobe’s lock-in, there aren’t any other good options in iPadOS. I think this could be a cool opportunity for Pixelmator Photos.
Noted, we'll keep this in mind.
by JoelR 2020-06-29 02:04:55 2. As follow-up, I’d love to see Pixelmator Photos read/write XML sidecar files for rating and sorting RAW images. I appreciate that once you start editing an image it needs its own .photos file, but perhaps following this industry-standard would help integrate your great program into more workflows
This is something we'd need to look into. Thanks for the suggestion!
by JoelR 2020-06-29 02:04:55 3. I’d love it if .photos were an open standard. Right now I love Pixelmator Photo for global adjustments but Pixelmator for iOS doesn’t open the file type either and Pixelmator Pro is Mac OS only. To do local and/or layered edits I need to get the image into Affinity or Photoshop. I’d love to see support for a file type that includes color profiles and the full, uncompressed data. Preferably without creating an intermediary copy like a TIF.
A completely open standard is pretty unlikely and wouldn't be especially practical... Of course, we'd love to (and plan to) add support for Pixelmator Photo files to Pixelmator Pro and Pixelmator for iOS, so that's a different story.
by JoelR 2020-06-29 02:04:55 4. Or, local edits and I’d probably never have to leave Pixelmator Photo!
That one's most certainly on the roadmap!
by JoelR 2020-06-29 02:04:55 Appreciate the work your team puts into the this great product.
Thank you! :pray:

2020-12-15 04:59:18

The rating idea would really help with making the workflow more efficient. I think a way to make it even better is to allow some filtering for the tag/ratings to just look at the pictures I want to edit.

2020-12-16 17:05:47

I would also LOVE to see some king of star rating system, i have been searching for an app that will let me sort/filter photos and edit them for nearly a year now but no one seems to offer it. Ipad s are a really amazing hands on way to edit photos but severely lack any kind of robust photo database management tools ( unless you are prepared to subscribe to Adobe, which I am not) I think if Pixelmator could offer something like this it would really help them stand out from the crowd and appeal to an even wider audience. For me it’s the only thing lacking from your software.

Thanks very much, keep making awesome things!

2020-12-16 17:33:35

by Jamie Hughes 2020-12-16 17:08:30 I would also LOVE to see some king of star rating system, i have been searching for an app that will let me sort/filter photos and edit them for nearly a year now but no one seems to offer it. Ipad s are a really amazing hands on way to edit photos but severely lack any kind of robust photo database management tools ( unless you are prepared to subscribe to Adobe, which I am not) I think if Pixelmator could offer something like this it would really help them stand out from the crowd and appeal to an even wider audience. For me it’s the only thing lacking from your software.

Thanks very much, keep making awesome things!
I eventually did break down and subscribed to Adobe, but I prefer many of the Pixelmator tools and would love to cancel that subscription. The biggest thing keeping me in camp Adobe are culling, rating, and organizing. Apple photos lacks fine-grained control and there really aren’t other options.

2020-12-17 07:12:10

by JoelR
I eventually did break down and subscribed to Adobe, but I prefer many of the Pixelmator tools and would love to cancel that subscription. The biggest thing keeping me in camp Adobe are culling, rating, and organizing. Apple photos lacks fine-grained control and there really aren’t other options.
I also gotta admit the Adobe has a good workflow. Being able to offer some good culling, rating, and organization tools would really help people in migrating from Adobe.

2021-01-04 14:05:49

I have just started to use Pixelmator Photo for my RAW files editing and I love it.
But I’m worried about the amount of space it would require to save the non destructive changes made with it (in order to make other modifications in the future, starting from what I did): I have seen that the size of the .photo file is similar to the raw file itself!
I appreciate the suggestion to read/write xmp files to improve flexibility, but in the mean time it would be useful to save space, allowing to save only the .info file included into .photo file. The .info file seems to include the modifications made to the picture and this would allow to continue to work on the raw file in thhe future without wasting too much space. Thank you