[Feature Request]: Local Adjustments, Mask Tool......and some improvements

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Photo?

2020-02-22 06:36:27

Hi, first I want to thanks for the developers for produced such a great image-editing app: cheap, light, yet powerful. I like this app very much and the file selection is really helpful to the arrange a lot of photos. But I do want some new features and improvements like this:

1. Local Adjustments: Though the editing through the entire image are wonderful, but I still there will have the local editing feature in the future. That'll be a great improvement through the image editing

2. Mask Tool: I like the mask tool in the Snapseed very much, it was very useful for editing some creative images and I pretty want this feature could be added in.

3. Double Exposure: Again, still very useful on creativity.

4. Add Texts & Images on the image: Though it isn't a necessary tool for professional image editing, it will be a feature that will my life easier. I could just complete the whole process rather than switching through hundreds of apps.

5. Bokeh Effects: It was a function a like when I editing photo, still hope that you can add it in, the more the merrier :blush:

6. Image Cutting Improvements: The image cutting is pretty powerful on it but I hope that we can crop the pictures into some specific shapes like circles, triangles, or stars. And I do find out is that when I want to custom the image's ratio, I can only input the INTEGERS rather than the decimals. The custom ratio cutting made me like your app very much, so it will very sweet if this could be improved.

Wish your apps will be greater and greater till the best :smile: :thumbs_up: :pray:

2020-02-24 11:48:11

Hey there, all those requests are totally solid, though some are, of course, a higher priority for us than others.

1. We'd love to add this for sure, but it's a big project. So it will come but it will also take a little while.
2. Do you mean how you can see the brushed adjustments as a mask? Or something else?
3. An interesting feature for sure — I'll add this to the feature request list.
4. That may be something for the layer-based Pixelmator, to be honest...
5. I think we could maybe add this as an effect, but it would have to part of a larger feature with more effects.
6. Again, this might be something for the layer-based Pixelmator, but we'll keep it in mind.

Thanks for taking the time to share those requests!

2020-06-29 01:55:02

It doesn’t look like Pixelmator for iOS will open Pixelmator Photo files. Makes a layer workflow a little convoluted.

2020-07-19 20:27:36

Super Resolution would be amazing. I would literally drool for that...

2021-11-13 22:20:32

The lack of local adjustments — never mind layers, just local adjustments with a brush, or to a selected area with a feather — is so important and so fundamental that I can’t see why it isn’t top priority after bug fixes.

It has been quite a few years now since release. But it should have been top priority at the start of those years. But it obviously hasn’t been, we can all see that now. You have made a big mistake not getting this one done earlier. It is one of two things that pushed me away and made me look elsewhere. I just came back now to see if it has been added and the software has now become useful. But no. It’s very very disappointing.

It’s the thing that separates the advanced from the basic in this type of software. Every generic photo browser can do global adjustments. We buy something more advanced so we can apply an adjustment locally.

Oh, and no noise reduction? Come on. That’s not disappointing, that’s a joke. I can’t think of one single competitor that doesn’t have NR, and didn’t have it from Day One. It’s — it’s actually — inconceivable. I see people post on forums asking to be shown where to find the NR on this software, and their blank shock when told it doesn’t have it. Do you think we all have full frame cameras, or always shoot in broad daylight, or on tripods? No? Then what were you thinking?? You take a nice piece of editing software and completely cripple it with a fundamental missing feature that everyone else always makes sure to have. You built a table and one of its four corners has no leg.

Grant

2021-11-26 14:54:48

Hello.
Any ETA on adjustment layers in Pro? Searching the forums it looks like it has been on the roadmap for over a year.
Thanks for any insights

J

2021-11-26 15:57:19

by JMacI 2021-11-26 11:55:33 Hello.
Any ETA on adjustment layers in Pro? Searching the forums it looks like it has been on the roadmap for over a year.
Thanks for any insights

J
This thread is in the Pixelmator Photo forum and is more about local adjustments but, interestingly, the two are actually very much related. So, as far as Pixelmator Pro is concerned, we've started initial work on adjustment layers. This doesn't mean it's coming in the next update or even that I can promise that we'll definitely release it within 12 months because these things can turn out to be difficult to predict. Having said that, it's no longer just on our roadmap, it's now being worked on.
by TN Args 2021-11-13 20:20:32 The lack of local adjustments — never mind layers, just local adjustments with a brush, or to a selected area with a feather — is so important and so fundamental that I can’t see why it isn’t top priority after bug fixes.

It has been quite a few years now since release. But it should have been top priority at the start of those years. But it obviously hasn’t been, we can all see that now. You have made a big mistake not getting this one done earlier. It is one of two things that pushed me away and made me look elsewhere. I just came back now to see if it has been added and the software has now become useful. But no. It’s very very disappointing.

It’s the thing that separates the advanced from the basic in this type of software. Every generic photo browser can do global adjustments. We buy something more advanced so we can apply an adjustment locally.

Oh, and no noise reduction? Come on. That’s not disappointing, that’s a joke. I can’t think of one single competitor that doesn’t have NR, and didn’t have it from Day One. It’s — it’s actually — inconceivable. I see people post on forums asking to be shown where to find the NR on this software, and their blank shock when told it doesn’t have it. Do you think we all have full frame cameras, or always shoot in broad daylight, or on tripods? No? Then what were you thinking?? You take a nice piece of editing software and completely cripple it with a fundamental missing feature that everyone else always makes sure to have. You built a table and one of its four corners has no leg.
Grant
Hi Grant, first of all, apologies for the late reply. Secondly, I do understand your frustration, however, there are complicating factors. We've designed Pixelmator Photo to be completely nondestructive, including the Repair tool and including with RAW photos. No one else (to my knowledge) has been able to do this with a full-fledged object removal algorithm. However, that makes local adjustments difficult to implement on iOS due to its more stringent memory constraints. That's not to say it's impossible, it's simply more of a technological challenge. We could have decided to tackle it early on and devoted time to it, but we might have ended up spending a loooot of time on it without any other updates. That would have delayed, for example, Pixelmator Photo for iPhone, which we're working on. There is room for debate about which one is more important but, at the very least, it's definitely not a clear-cut choice.

In any case, as I mentioned above, we've started work on adjustment layers for Pixelmator Pro, which should hopefully lay the foundations for local adjustments in Pixelmator Photo.

Finally, denoising should make it into the upcoming update. So the news isn't all bad. :raised_hands:

2021-11-27 02:37:16

by Andrius
This thread is in the Pixelmator Photo forum and is more about local adjustments but, interestingly, the two are actually very much related. So, as far as Pixelmator Pro is concerned, we've started initial work on adjustment layers. This doesn't mean it's coming in the next update or even that I can promise that we'll definitely release it within 12 months because these things can turn out to be difficult to predict. Having said that, it's no longer just on our roadmap, it's now being worked on.

Hi Grant, first of all, apologies for the late reply. Secondly, I do understand your frustration, however, there are complicating factors. We've designed Pixelmator Photo to be completely nondestructive, including the Repair tool and including with RAW photos. No one else (to my knowledge) has been able to do this with a full-fledged object removal algorithm. However, that makes local adjustments difficult to implement on iOS due to its more stringent memory constraints. That's not to say it's impossible, it's simply more of a technological challenge. We could have decided to tackle it early on and devoted time to it, but we might have ended up spending a loooot of time on it without any other updates. That would have delayed, for example, Pixelmator Photo for iPhone, which we're working on. There is room for debate about which one is more important but, at the very least, it's definitely not a clear-cut choice.

In any case, as I mentioned above, we've started work on adjustment layers for Pixelmator Pro, which should hopefully lay the foundations for local adjustments in Pixelmator Photo.

Finally, denoising should make it into the upcoming update. So the news isn't all bad. :raised_hands:
即将到来,是还需要多久,我可以参加内测吗?

2022-04-26 13:36:49

Hopefully any good news about local adjustment, since layers are out in the Pro, it feels like eternity

2022-05-13 16:03:43

It seems like everybody is implementing ML/AI masking in their photo processing apps. It could be interesting if Pixelmator were to utilize their ML/AI in Pixelmator Photo for their implementation of masking and local adjustments.