Edited Images

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2020-11-17 02:13:51

When I edit an image, is PP creating a new copy of the photo, or is it creating an overlay to the image that isn’t the full size of the original?

2020-11-27 09:47:18

I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean here but the Pixelmator Photo file contains a full-size, uncompressed copy of the original image and, when you use the repair tool on RAW photos, some additional uncompressed RAW data along with other stuff.

2020-11-28 06:44:40

I noticed that a new album was created called Pixelmator Photo, and that any photo I’ve edited is saved in there. But is also in the album I already had it in, so it makes it appear that there’s a duplicate.

2020-11-30 12:34:19

The Pixelmator Photo album in Photos is optional. It's great for keeping track of your edits as they are all in one place, but you can also turn this album off. In the Files or the Photos browser, tap More (the three dots) at the top of your screen, then tap Photos and turn off the "Pixelmator Photo Album" option. Your existing photos won't be deleted.

2020-12-19 10:09:13

Hi,
when looking at the photo in the original album, I see the PP edited version. Am I correct in understanding that the original raw file is still there, untouched, but the preview image is that which came out of PP?

If needed, how would you restore the photo back to an unedited version please?

Thanks

2020-12-22 12:39:45

by RobLW 2020-12-19 08:09:13 Hi,
when looking at the photo in the original album, I see the PP edited version. Am I correct in understanding that the original raw file is still there, untouched, but the preview image is that which came out of PP?

If needed, how would you restore the photo back to an unedited version please?

Thanks
Yes, the RAW file is still 100% there. If you'd like to revert to it in the Photos app, you need to open the photo for editing, then tap the Revert button in the top right. In Pixelmator Photo, you can tap and hold the photo and choose Revert from the shortcut menu. Or, if you tap and hold the Edit button, you can choose to edit the original instead of the modified version, which you might find useful.

2020-12-29 18:40:18

Is there a cheat sheet to tell me what the symbols above the files mean? For example, some files PP created have a linked symbol, some have pencils. I don’t know what they mean. Are they linked with the main raw file? Are they edited? I am just beginning using this app. Is there a How-to use PP manual? Thanks a lot for your help!

2021-01-05 11:23:03

You can find the information about those symbols – and the full user guide – right here (I've linked to the relevant section):

https://help.pixelmator.com/pixelmator-photo/1.5/#663