Save Changes in Sidecar File Instead of Duplicating Raw File?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2020-03-30 17:45:56

Is there any way to have Pixelmator Photo save editing changes in a sidecar file to avoid taking up so much space? My iPad only has 64GB of storage, so not duplicating raw files when they are edited would be very helpful.

2020-04-01 14:17:57

The issue is our nondestructive Repair tool — that's actually what makes up most of the extra size, especially with RAW files, which have extended dynamic range data and which we have to recreate. We do have some ideas for improvements here but they all come with certain trade-offs, unfortunately.

2020-08-05 04:36:57

New user here. Just got started with a new iPad Pro, and switching away from desktop. I really like Pixelmator in combo with Photos. But, the size of the non-destructive edit data is a stumbling block for me too. I’m moving all my images to iCloud storage, and having the space required pretty much doubled in not a desirable feature.

Perhaps a suggestion that you could offer an option for either the full data, or just the metadata (such as the standard xmp file) for editing is saved?

Regards
Andy

2020-08-11 13:50:36

by Andy Hewitt 2020-08-05 04:36:57 New user here. Just got started with a new iPad Pro, and switching away from desktop. I really like Pixelmator in combo with Photos. But, the size of the non-destructive edit data is a stumbling block for me too. I’m moving all my images to iCloud storage, and having the space required pretty much doubled in not a desirable feature.

Perhaps a suggestion that you could offer an option for either the full data, or just the metadata (such as the standard xmp file) for editing is saved?

Regards
Andy
Noted! We know this is an important issue, so we'll keep it in mind moving forward. :pray: