Lens and camera profiles?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2019-10-08 20:48:04

Just bought Pixelmator Photo for our iPad Air 3 and I must honestly say that the app is rather impressive.
To completely kick Lightroom for iPad (with their rediculous subscription model..please NEVER go there) out of the door, I am still missing one important aspect: lens and camera correction profiles.

My Nikon D7200 with 18-105mm lens would be very greatful if you can add those profiles in the near future...and so am I. :smile:

Is this something we might get?

Thanks!

2019-10-11 09:45:33

Hey there, we've been working on a lens distortion correction feature (that you can use to correct distortions manually) but camera profiles aren't currently on the roadmap for a few technical reasons related to using the native iOS RAW processing engine. This is on our feature request list, though, so it might be a possibility in the longer-term future.

2019-10-11 21:50:13

by Andrius 2019-10-11 07:45:33 Hey there, we've been working on a lens distortion correction feature (that you can use to correct distortions manually) but camera profiles aren't currently on the roadmap for a few technical reasons related to using the native iOS RAW processing engine. This is on our feature request list, though, so it might be a possibility in the longer-term future.
That's a shame. Manuel correction is rather inferior.. You aren't able to add an "auto" correction feature that applies the native iOS lens corrections? (Both my lens and camera are fully supported by iOS).

Lightroom for iPad does allow me to enable lens correction for RAW files.

2019-10-16 17:00:38

? Or are iOS lens corrections applied by default (within Pixelmator Photo)?

2019-10-17 12:05:40

Yes, the corrections are usually applied by default when doing the base RAW decoding — both devignetting and lens distortion correction. The reason the option isn't visible is that we couldn't make it togglable due to how our tools interact with the native RAW decoding process. Specifically the Repair tool and our custom color model/adjustments.

2019-10-17 16:46:05

by Andrius 2019-10-17 10:05:40 Yes, the corrections are usually applied by default when doing the base RAW decoding — both devignetting and lens distortion correction. The reason the option isn't visible is that we couldn't make it togglable due to how our tools interact with the native RAW decoding process. Specifically the Repair tool and our custom color model/adjustments.
Top! Both my camera and lens are fully supported by iOS corrections, hence it's good to know that also within your app they are applied by default. :) Thanks

2019-10-18 16:19:31

Awesome! :muscle:

2021-12-28 07:38:48

Will there ever be any way to associate a different profile with the image? I ask this because if I compare an image shot on an iPhone using Apple’s default ProRAW profile with an “Adobe Standard” profile applied in Lightroom there’s a night and day difference. Apple seems to make all their shots look weirdly HDR and overly sharpened by default and the only way I’ve been able to get rid of that is by applying an Adobe raw profile. Not saying you guys should be like Adobe but I’m having a hard time getting a more honest out-of-the-camera look from my shots in Pixelmator. Example below

Here’s another closeup comparison with Apple’s ProRAW profile on the left and an Adobe Color profile on the right. Apple’s kind of unrealistically squashes the tones IMO. It’s a little harder to work with.