App unable to open RAW files - Latest iOS 2nd Gen iPad Pro 12.9

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2019-05-23 13:32:33

I just purchased Pixelmator Photo for the iPad with the intent on using it spcifically with RAW images (RAF files from Fujifilm) and am so far seriously let down.

I can't even import a RAW file into the app, whenever I try to import the file I get the alert "Unable to Import Image The image could not be imported" and the only option I have got is "OK" and that's it.

The camera I shot with is Fujifilm X-T20 with their latest firmware installed, the photos were imported using a genuine Apple SD card reader.

The app opens JPEG files just fine, but JPEG are useless to me with my line of work, I need RAW support.

Please advise.

Regards

2019-05-23 13:44:31

Hi there, Pixelmator Photo can open all RAW formats supported in iOS 12. A list of those can be found here: https://support.apple.com/HT208967

RAW photos from the X-T20 are supported as long as they aren't compressed. I would guess you're shooting compressed — if so, changing to uncompressed will let you open and edit those photos.

If (/when) Apple adds support for uncompressed RAW photos to iOS, Pixelmator Photo will be able to immediately take advantage of that support as soon it's available.

2019-05-23 16:21:44

Image I shoot with an X-T20 and use the same Apple card reader. RAF files open fine. Double check that the files are not compressed, as Andrius suggested. Compressed RAW files are usually the culprit.

2019-05-27 07:41:00

Indeed the compression was the reason behind all that :)

Thank you for your help!

Regards

2019-05-27 07:52:34

Great to hear — hope you're enjoying the app!

2019-07-12 00:58:22

I have come across this same problem. Just purchased Pixelmator Photo to try it out but cannot open my .RAF files. I am shooting Fuji X-T3 uncompressed, which is supported in iOS 12.

2019-07-12 11:53:15

Hey there Nadeem,

Could you shoot a couple of RAW files to support@pixelmator.com? We'll take a closer look at what's happening.