iPad Screen Calibration

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2019-05-05 06:06:33

Are there any recommendations for calibrating an iPad Pro screen for photo editing? Is it even possible? In all the excitement for this app I forgot that I abandoned Affinity Photo and went back to the iMac months ago because I had greater control there. I calibrated my iMac screen for color work and have a color managed workflow. My brightness is set to a standard and edited photos there reproduce predictably across devices and screens, and my printer.

I turn off True Tone and Night Shift on the iPad and am aware that at full brightness the iPad screen isn’t an accurate representation of what other monitors are.

Thanks,
Scott

2019-05-05 07:06:03

This is an important question. I am not an expert on this subject, but I would think that at full brightness, no screen would be an accurate representation of the subject. By let someone with more knowledge comment...

2019-05-06 07:58:42

Interesting question — as far as I can see, there are no system controls for calibration like there are on macOS, though there does seem to be a third-party app (ColorTRUE) that supposedly lets you calibrate iPad screens with the help of some of their color measurement devices. Not an endorsement as I haven't tried it and have no idea how good a job it does, but it is an avenue that might be worth exploring. Also, with the push toward making the iPad a device for pro work, it seems to me that screen calibration should inevitably make it to iOS at some point.

2019-05-06 11:54:45

Hi Andrius,
I’ve looked into that solution before. If I remember correctly, it displays accurate color within their app environment only, not across the board in all apps at all times. I use a ColorMunki on the desktop and that’s been the case (I believe they’re owned by X-Rite). Previously, I think editing on the iPad left a magenta cast that was visible when viewing the files on a desktop. In looking to have a true mobile workflow I’d like to have accurate color and be able to output to my Canon inkjet with some granular control over print functions.

Apple will certainly have to address this in order for the iPad to start fulfilling its potential.

I’m going to try a few experiments and see how much of a difference I notice and, more importantly, what others notice. Updates will follow.

Thanks,
Scott

2019-05-07 15:42:22

Cool, looking forward to hearing what you discover!

2019-05-09 18:12:38

On this moment the only way I found to check the colour accuracy is to couple the iPad Pro on a calibrated external screen.
I use a Eizo screen with internal calibration device.

2019-05-09 18:30:00

by Jean VR 2019-05-09 18:13:02 On this moment the only way I found to check the colour accuracy is to couple the iPad Pro on a calibrated external screen.
I use a Eizo screen with internal calibration device.

That's an interesting solution. Have you found it visually accurate? How different is the iPad display when it's not connected?

My days of being tethered to a desk and monitor are long gone, however (I do miss them). I'm looking for a completely mobile solution where I can show someone my screen and have it truly WYSIWYG across devices, without being tied to a monitor. Also, for the sake of simplicity, to know that when I edit on my iPad that it'll look the same (within reason) when posted to the web or anywhere else. While I can't calibrate everyone's screens, I want it to look acceptable.

Thanks for chining in!