Pixelmator Photo crashes and other minor bugs

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2019-04-16 00:34:54

I've been using this since it was out on the App Store. Love the speed and color adjustments.
Some things I've noticed, which I hope it can be fixed in future updates.

EXIF/Show Info time stamp is not correct. It looks like Pixelmator Photo reads the image's date/time stamp UTC and doesn't calculate to the device's time zone on Show Info.

Histogram not showing up after turning it on. Steps to reproduce:
1. turn off histogram.
2. go to Files, and open an image.
3. Open the Color Adjustment sidebar then go to Option and enable histogram. Histogram box is empty.
The data seems to be generated only on opening an image, not while the image is already open.

I've been getting a lot of crashes, where Pixelmator Photo would abruptly close. This happens typically when I'm doing color adjustment using the built-in presets, or when tapping Files to exit from current image. I've also seen tapping on Files/internal iPad storage, it would say storage not available, retry? Because I'm using internal storage, I thought my iPad had a storage failure. I force closed Pixelmator Photo, the next time I open Pixelmator Photo the storage is okay. I don't think this is iOS issue, while Pixelmator Photo showing this error, I open Apple's Files app, it's fine.

The device is iPad Pro 12.9 (2018, 3rd gen), 1TB model with Pencil and Apple smart keyboard.
I've enabled analytics and shared with dev. Would this help?

2019-04-17 11:37:39

Hey there, thanks for the detailed feedback! Could you share some of those crash reports with us via email? Here's how to find them:

1. Open Settings > Privacy > Analytics > Analytics Data.
2. Tap to open a Pixelmator Photo crash from the list. This will start with “Pixelmator Photo-” and contain the time of the crash in the title.
3. Tap the share button in the top right and email the report to support@pixelmator.com.

In the meantime, if you could share your email address either here with me or with our support email address, we'd add you to our TestFlight beta for version 1.0.3, which has some memory use fixes and improves stability overall. We'd love to hear whether it works any better for you.

The storage error is an interesting one. If possible, could you try to pin down any specific steps that we could try to use?

Oh, and we've reproduced the Histogram and EXIF issues, and fixes for these should, most likely, be included version 1.0.4.

2019-04-17 17:10:00

by Andrius 2019-04-17 18:37:39 In the meantime, if you could share your email address either here with me or with our support email address, we'd add you to our TestFlight beta for version 1.0.3, which has some memory use fixes and improves stability overall. We'd love to hear whether it works any better for you.

The storage error is an interesting one. If possible, could you try to pin down any specific steps that we could try to use?

Oh, and we've reproduced the Histogram and EXIF issues, and fixes for these should, most likely, be included version 1.0.4.
Thanks Andrius! The histogram/EXIF is minor but the crashes is quite annoying.
I've notice that the crash tends to be random, sometimes when using the color presets, when I'm doing close and open. My photo files are quite big, 135-145 MB each. I took the photos with DSLR, put it in Photoshop and do retouch, and export it as 16-bit TIFF no layer.

There's one new anomaly I encountered yesterday after posting this. It is where I open Pixelmator Photo, go to Files to open a photo and it would show chess pattern in the picture thumbnail. Not on all of them, but only a couple photos. When opened, the entire photo is chess pattern or, or half of the top photo loaded, but the bottom half is not.
What I mean by chess pattern is like when you open a new transparent image in Photoshop.

Force closing Pixelmator Photo and wait a moment, then go back to Files would correct the issue.
All files are stored in the iPad storage, I have 532 GB space available.

I've sent the logs, there are 6 of them.