combining 2 JPG files

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2020-10-16 19:43:08

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for user questions on accomplishing a task.

I'm attempting to crop and combine 2 JPG images into one image.
I inserted each JPG into a layer. Somehow I was able to get both images side by side on screen.
To crop an image I select it by clicking on it. The handles that appear are apparently for resizing.
So I choose Image->Crop. Then... I get a huge box that fills most of my computer screen and contains handles on the left and right side.
The huge box contains everything... both images and the background layer that I set to 1920x1080.
Using those handles seems to crop the entire canvas, not the single image that I'm trying to crop.

So, I'm looking for some guidance on layers, canvas and image cropping/sizing in addition to the brief online help articles.
(I have read what is there about the different types of layers. The crop help sounds easy but is not working for me)

I would like to know if there is deeper knowledge (i.e. a manual) other than what I see on pixelmator.com.

PaulS

2020-10-16 19:46:31

One more thing... seems my canvas (which I assume is the gray crosshatch) keeps changing size.
I set it to 1920W x 1080H (landscape) and somehow it ends up being a portrait of much larger dimensions.
PaulS

2020-10-18 20:23:47

From a YouTube video I learned to use "Add Mask" and "Merge" to crop an image.
This seems to accomplish what I was trying to do via "Crop".

2020-10-19 09:39:22

Hey Paul, this is actually a relatively common thing people run into, so I'll just copy my answer from this thread:
1. In the Layers sidebar, click to select the layer you'd like crop
2. Choose the Rectangular Selection tool
3. Draw a selection of the areas you'd like to keep
4. Choose Edit > Invert Selection (or press the Shift-Command-I keyboard shortcut) and then choose Edit > Delete (or press the Backspace key)
5. Chose Edit > Deselect (or press the Command-D keyboard shortcut) to clear your selection
Hope that helps!