Tutorial Requests & Suggestions

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2020-04-30 11:16:53

From now on, we plan to start releasing tutorials and user materials more regularly and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for what you'd like us to cover, feel free to post them here. We'll keep them in mind!

2020-05-30 00:40:20

I’d love to see a tutorial that covers the differences between the colour balance, levels, and circles adjustments, and how they interact with each other. For example, is colour balance just another way of achieving the same results as levels & curves, advantages of using one over the other, etc.

From the Pixelmator Photo user guide:

“The Curves adjustment is often regarded as a more advanced variation of the Levels adjustment. You can use it to adjust image highlights, shadows, and midtones, boost contrast, improve image colors, or create artistic effects.“

Edit - I’ve put this in the wrong forum, meant to post in Photo

2020-05-31 11:57:37

I would really like to see a photo stacking tutorial. A method used by astrophotographers to stack many (identical) photos on top of each other to add the layers together and make the night star sky brighter and visible.

2020-06-01 11:55:35

by Fish 2020-05-30 00:40:20 I’d love to see a tutorial that covers the differences between the colour balance, levels, and circles adjustments, and how they interact with each other. For example, is colour balance just another way of achieving the same results as levels & curves, advantages of using one over the other, etc.

From the Pixelmator Photo user guide:

“The Curves adjustment is often regarded as a more advanced variation of the Levels adjustment. You can use it to adjust image highlights, shadows, and midtones, boost contrast, improve image colors, or create artistic effects.“

Edit - I’ve put this in the wrong forum, meant to post in Photo
Nah, this forum is totally fine! We haven't yet published any tutorials about Pixelmator Photo but we certainly will. And any tutorials related to the color adjustments in Pixelmator Pro would usually be relevant to Pixelmator Photo.
by philwozza I would really like to see a photo stacking tutorial. A method used by astrophotographers to stack many (identical) photos on top of each other to add the layers together and make the night star sky brighter and visible.
We'll see what we can do!

2020-07-10 13:33:35

I'd be interested in some what of a structured tutorial of doing color adjustments to photos. While I have a general idea of what each slider will do it be I still feel very unsure of what I'm doing and when I've gone overboard with various settings. The tutorial videos are great but they are in what appears to the uninitiated as a random order.

2020-07-10 13:48:17

by bbech 2020-07-10 10:34:40 I'd be interested in some what of a structured tutorial of doing color adjustments to photos. While I have a general idea of what each slider will do it be I still feel very unsure of what I'm doing and when I've gone overboard with various settings. The tutorial videos are great but they are in what appears to the uninitiated as a random order.
Noted! This tutorial is a pretty good introduction to the usual photo editing/color adjustment workflow, by the way: https://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/how-to-change-the-color-of-an-object-in-a-photo/

2020-07-28 19:44:22

I'd love a tutorial on preparing a version of a photo for posting on instagram, ideally showing a workflow using PP as standalone and a workflow when using as an extension.

Thanks.

2020-08-10 12:43:52

As simple as it is, maybe a Quickstart tut on the new shape text feature. How to flip text from in to outside the circle (shape), how to change the size of a circular text tool, how to have lower text fixed from above when typing below a circle, that sort of thing.

J

2020-08-21 18:47:48

Yes, and how to move the text to a new location on the circle. All hidden things.
by JARROD 2020-08-10 12:43:52 As simple as it is, maybe a Quickstart tut on the new shape text feature. How to flip text from in to outside the circle (shape), how to change the size of a circular text tool, how to have lower text fixed from above when typing below a circle, that sort of thing.

J

2021-02-05 15:07:16

Having no "Photoshop" background, I would love to have a basic introduction in working with layers. Especially for photo-editing.
So think of local color adjustments. like dodge and burn (non destructively), working with partial effects, just improving for example sky color, photo stacking (if that is possible). But also something like when working with layers/gradients/ the difference of using black or white to hide/reveal etc.

I understand that this basic knowledge for working layer based, followed some tutorial from Affinity, but then it's again different in Pixelmator.

Loved the time from Aperture, where edits, color adjustments, local adjustments simply worked, without the "hassle" of thinking in a "Layers-concept". Also the concept of DXO and the NIK-collection, Very detailed local adjustments by simply using it where you liked.

P.S.: don't be mis-understand me. I love the things PP can do and the integration with Apple Photo's, just keep breaking my Head for this, to me, "strange concept of using layers".
The integration from the other products with Photo's is so bad that I stopped using them. So please "help" :smile:

2021-02-05 16:01:24

:smile:

The good news is we're working on a very big (~20-minute long) tutorial about getting started with Pixelmator Pro, which should cover the basics in a, hopefully, very easy-to-understand way. I think you're looking for some more advanced tips and tricks, so it might not deliver everything you're looking for, but it should be good nonetheless. :smiley:

For photography, we could share some tips and tricks but it would probably be best to wait until we add adjustment layers (which we do plan to do) – once those are available, the workflow will be more flexible.

Also, we have some plans to create a version of Pixelmator Photo for macOS, which would have a much more photography-centric workflow, so that might be something to look out for in the future. :wink:

2021-02-05 17:04:15

Sounds all great news.
Looking forward to it for as well the tutorial as the dedicated Pixelmator Photo.
In the meantime if you have some more tips and tricks or links to external resources that cover some “photographic” issues, I would be very happy. I am pretty convinced that PP has enough possibillities , but just need to “discover” them.

Thanks !

2021-02-22 17:16:58

by Andrius 2020-04-30 09:16:53 From now on, we plan to start releasing tutorials and user materials more regularly and if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for what you'd like us to cover, feel free to post them here. We'll keep them in mind!

Hola Andrius, maybe it would be interesting to post something about building a panorama from two or three simple photos.

Greetings

2021-02-25 15:49:12

by Yelmo 2021-02-22 15:16:58

Hola Andrius, maybe it would be interesting to post something about building a panorama from two or three simple photos.

Greetings
Right now, this would probably be quite tricky and possibly not very reliable so it wouldn't make for a great tutorial. :grimacing: Instead, maybe we can look into what we can do about adding a tool that could do this automatically...

2021-04-29 18:10:04

@ Andrius I followed your "in depth guide" I found it very useful. Thanks for this tutorial
Also this one helped me a lot in understanding working with layers for photography " to achieve local adjustments in working with layers and also this (very long) tutorial is very worthwhile. It's a live training from Elain Giles.

2021-04-30 09:38:06

by MacGB @ Andrius I followed your "in depth guide" I found it very useful. Thanks for this tutorial
Cheers to that!
by MacGB Also this one helped me a lot in understanding working with layers for photography " to achieve local adjustments in working with layers and also this (very long) tutorial is very worthwhile. It's a live training from Elain Giles.
And thanks for sharing those links – I'd seen the live training before and I think I've also seen the blown-out sky one, too, but I hope others will find them useful.

2021-07-14 16:10:24

[deleted]

2021-07-16 01:03:44

Yeah, adobe got really lucky! lots of people love following tutorials and adobe's apps weren't that expensive (Back then, lol!) that's probably where they got most of their customers from!
anyway, I quite like writing out tutorials, so here's my take at a typewriter effect:

Making The Background

1. Go to your Preferred web browser and enter something like “rough paper texture 4k”, find one at good resolution, ⌃ (Control) click on it and download. Heres the one I used: Image
2. You can also take a picture of a rough piece of paper and use that instead.
3. Create a new Project (the default 2880 x 1800 works fine, but you can use any resolution)
4. Import your photo into the Pixelmator Pro document

Text And Effects

1. Head to the text tool and Type out something
2. The font I used was American Typewriter, regular (a simple one installed on most Macs by default) at 76px and a colour of black (for now)
3. Go to the Effects tool for the text layer and add a Displacement map effect
4. First, Drag the paper Background into the image well of the Displacement map, and turn the ‘Amount’ slider down to 33px
5. Add a crystallise effect, and set the radius to 1.0px

Final Touches

1. Get your text layer and set it blend mode to ‘Vivid Light’ and its Opacity to 80%
2. Head to the Type tool and make sure its hue is fully red, but the lightness and saturation to black, the hex code should be #000000
3. Now you can slide the colour diagonally(along the green arrow in my included image) from bottom left to top right and notice how parts of the text will slowly erode, choose a good point you like (for me it was #050505)
4. You can also add an empty layer and go to the paint tool, choose a distressed brush (like Square Pastel) at 20-30px and paint ink-marks in and around letters
5. When you’re happy, set the layer’s opacity to 50%

There you go! and if you don't do the paint blotches you could change the text and the displacement will update!

2021-11-15 17:52:50

Hello,
I'm trying to figure out how to make a Shortcut out of the following AppleScript:

tell application "Pixelmator Pro"
set originalImages to choose file with prompt ¬
"Please select the images to process:" with multiple selections allowed
set filenamesWithoutExtensions to my removeExtensions(originalImages)
set exportLocation to choose folder with prompt ¬
"Please select where you'd like export the images:"
repeat with a from 1 to number of originalImages
set currentImage to open item a of originalImages
set currentFilename to item a of filenamesWithoutExtensions
resize canvas of currentImage width 2388 height 1668 anchor position middle center
export currentImage to file ((exportLocation as text) & ¬
currentFilename & "-" & ".heic") as HEIC with properties {compression factor:100}
close currentImage without saving
end repeat
display notification (number of originalImages as text) & ¬
" images have been successfully processed." with title "Resize Canvas and Export to HEIC"
end tell

on removeExtensions(listOfFiles)
set filenames to {}
tell application "Finder"
repeat with currentFile in listOfFiles
if extension hidden of currentFile is true then
copy displayed name of currentFile to end of filenames
else
set extension hidden of currentFile to true
copy displayed name of currentFile to end of filenames
set extension hidden of currentFile to false
end if
end repeat
end tell
return filenames
end removeExtensions

The reason for this is when trying to just build a simple shortcut to accomplish this without the AppleScript code, I don't seem to have a way to set the compression factor to 100, so I end up with very much lower quality smaller files than I'm wanting from the conversion. So, would it be simple to make a shortcut out of the AppleScript code above? I know I was helped with a shortcut that added in AppleScript to pull images out of the Photos App. Thanks!

2021-12-14 11:06:37

Hello! It would be great if you could release tutorial for the chrome type effect (ex. https://hyperpix.net/text-effects/chrome/) Thanks!

2021-12-22 04:18:17

Hi i would like More tutorials on using the Eraser tools and More tutorials on Background replacement. Also, combining images and a more in-depth usages of layers.

2022-01-06 18:53:07

by philwozza 2020-05-31 18:57:37 I would really like to see a photo stacking tutorial. A method used by astrophotographers to stack many (identical) photos on top of each other to add the layers together and make the night star sky brighter and visible.
Along the same lines, I would love to use photo stacking for micro-photography, taking multiple close-up photos at different focal points, then stacking them to create 3-D detail. Thanks for the tutorials

2022-01-17 05:08:15

Hello everyone, I just purchased Pro last night for my MBA M1. I am unable to view any tutorials. Any ideas on what's going on, perhaps it is because I am behind the Great Firewall, or just an errant setting on MBA? xiexie

2022-01-17 14:43:25

by diver7 2022-01-17 03:08:15 Hello everyone, I just purchased Pro last night for my MBA M1. I am unable to view any tutorials. Any ideas on what's going on, perhaps it is because I am behind the Great Firewall, or just an errant setting on MBA? xiexie
As far as I've checked, all the Pixelmator Pro tutorials are accessible and we haven't had any reports from users from other countries, so it looks like it's most likely a region-related issue.

2022-02-04 02:56:29

Tutorial request.

I want to create a "Pop Art" project a la Warhol and Lichtenstein. For some unexplained reason, you folks removed the Pop Art effect from Pixelmator. Boo, hiss, hiss.

This looks like a simple project: https://www.psdstack.com/photoshop-tuto ... s/pop-art/

Plz create an equivalent tutorial for Pixelmator Pro and then maybe you'll be forgiven for removing the Pop Art effect.