Rounding the corners of an image layer

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2020-04-08 11:04:39

We got a question on Twitter about rounding the corners of an image layer and I thought I'd also share one way of doing this here. If anyone has a different method they prefer or one that might be even faster, feel free to post it below!

1. The first step is going to your favorite stock image site to find images to use so you don't have to use the embarrassing shots from your own library. We love Unsplash. Or, you probably have an image already that you'd like to use.
2. Add a rounded rectangle shape and move it below the image layer.
3. Control-click the image layer and create a clipping mask.
4. Choose the Arrange tool, click to select the Shape layer in the Layers sidebar and, adjust its size and corner radius on the canvas.

2021-04-20 16:24:00

Thank you for taking the time to explain this. After number 4, then what do you do. When I press delete it deletes the mask. After trying a few different ways of deleting, I'm not having much success.
Thank you.
S

2021-04-22 11:14:44

by Susan Morabito 2021-04-20 13:24:00 Thank you for taking the time to explain this. After number 4, then what do you do. When I press delete it deletes the mask.
Try selecting both the image and the mask layers (by holding down the "Command" key) and merge them together. To merge, Control-click any of the selected layers and choose Merge from the menu that appears. Hope that helps!

2022-05-25 04:52:41

by Aurelija 2021-04-22 18:14:44
Try selecting both the image and the mask layers (by holding down the "Command" key) and merge them together. To merge, Control-click any of the selected layers and choose Merge from the menu that appears. Hope that helps!
Hi, now I just have a square image with a blue shape behind it, I don't see how the shape is supposed to affect the image?

Thank you

2022-05-28 09:39:06

It´s used as a clipping mask. Check out the video above and have an eye on the hierarchy in the Layers panel.

2022-05-30 17:48:08

@ArchRost

Works exactly as described; make sure that you clip the image into the shape layer.