[Video Tutorial] Selecting objects with the Magnetic Selection tool

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2020-01-30 15:13:03

The Magnetic Selection tool intelligently snaps to object edges, making it possible to select even complex objects with just a few clicks.

2020-05-23 05:48:13

How do you use the magnetic selection tools to select very fine hairs in a subject?

2020-05-25 07:00:48

by Dean Leong 2020-05-23 05:48:13 How do you use the magnetic selection tools to select very fine hairs in a subject?
To be honest, the Magnetic Selection tool probably wouldn't work for this — right now, hair selection is a tricky area. It's in our plans to improve in the (hopefully not too distant) future, though! In the meantime, you'd probably be best off simply removing any fine hairs and selecting the general outline wherever possible.

2020-08-28 14:30:56

I had to do hundreds of cutouts for the book The Animals War. As you can guess it was full of hairy beasts. What I did was to do the basic cutout by painting a mask over the top. Then smoothed and pulled out their hair in places, then roughened the edges with a suitable brush size to make it look like hair. It wasn't their real hair but the effect was just as good and with no need to do tedious holes through when hairs joined up.

This was before Pixelmator Pro was even a thought in the minds of the creators.

2020-12-21 18:03:06

This is a bit off-topic, but I thought I would post it anyway: The English printout of the narration on this Magnetic Selection Tool video shows the word “polygamous” in place of the term “polygonal.” Pardon me, but polygamous means “a marriage where the spouse of either sex has two or more spouses living in common marriage.” I don’t think this is quite what Pixelmater wants to say about polygons! Magnetic attraction and selection in polygamy is quite another thing! Just thought I’d point it out and let your proofreaders do the rest. Image

2020-12-22 10:20:59

by Ralph McGeehan This is a bit off-topic, but I thought I would post it anyway: The English printout of the narration on this Magnetic Selection Tool video shows the word “polygamous” in place of the term “polygonal.” Pardon me, but polygamous means “a marriage where the spouse of either sex has two or more spouses living in common marriage.” I don’t think this is quite what Pixelmater wants to say about polygons! Magnetic attraction and selection in polygamy is quite another thing! Just thought I’d point it out and let your proofreaders do the rest. Image
Those subtitles are actually automatically generated by YouTube, so our proofreaders (i.e. me) aren't to blame here. :smiley: They're pretty darn accurate for the most part, so we'll let them slide this time.