[Quick Tip] Convert selections into shapes

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2019-05-23 12:02:41

Easily create vector shapes from selections in your images — just Control-click an active selection with a selection tool and choose Convert into Shape.

View Tip

2020-02-18 01:04:50

How do you achieve this quick select in Pixelmator?

2020-02-18 14:37:42

In the original Pixelmator? Or Pixelmator Pro? Actually, in both cases, it's the Quick Selection tool. In Pixelmator Pro, you can choose it from Tools > Select > Quick Selection, pressing the Q key, or clicking it in the Tools sidebar like so:
In the original Pixelmator, it's in the Tools palette and you'd need to click it to select it.

2020-05-27 01:17:18

Why doesn't "Convert to Shape" show up after command-clicking a layer?

2020-05-28 13:42:37

by JaydenIrwinhttp://www.jaydenirwin.comhttp://www.jaydenirwin.com Why doesn't "Convert to Shape" show up after command-clicking a layer?
By Command-clicking a layer, do you mean Command-clicking a layer thumbnail to load its outline as a selection? Or Command-clicking somewhere else?

Also, at some point, you also have to Control-click somewhere to open the shortcut menu and, at this point, the contents of the shortcut menu depend on the tool you're currently using. So Convert into Shape appears in the shortcut menu when you Control-click the image when using the selection tools only. But, if you're using some other tool, you can also choose Format > Convert into Shape (from the Format menu at the top of your screen). Note, though, that, with active selections of text layers, this will convert the text layer to a shape instead of creating a new shape layer from the selection. But it will work just fine with pixel layers!

2020-05-28 18:41:11

by Andrius 2020-05-28 13:42:37
By Command-clicking a layer, do you mean Command-clicking a layer thumbnail to load its outline as a selection? Or Command-clicking somewhere else?

Also, at some point, you also have to Control-click somewhere to open the shortcut menu and, at this point, the contents of the shortcut menu depend on the tool you're currently using. So Convert into Shape appears in the shortcut menu when you Control-click the image when using the selection tools only. But, if you're using some other tool, you can also choose Format > Convert into Shape (from the Format menu at the top of your screen). Note, though, that, with active selections of text layers, this will convert the text layer to a shape instead of creating a new shape layer from the selection. But it will work just fine with pixel layers!
Yes that is what I mean. Thanks for the info. I will try to keep all this in mind when converting to shape. But I think this feature could be a little more user-friendly, since I have been a Pixelmator user for 5 years, and I have always struggled with feature.

2020-05-29 15:14:00

Understood, the different shortcut menus can probably be a little confusing, sure. We'll keep this in mind!

2021-07-17 10:41:12

Hi. I've made a selection as described, but the shape just has its selection points on a transparent square surrounding the shape. How can I make the shape itself have selection points? Without them it sort of defeats the purpose. I want to be able to adjust the actual shape, not just resize it.

2021-07-17 11:12:21

OK, I can Make Editable, but none of the vector points can be deleted, only moved. As soon as I select the pen tool, it goes back to Uneditable. How can I delete some of the vector points??

2021-07-21 10:33:29

by Navyo Ericsen 2021-07-17 08:12:21 OK, I can Make Editable, but none of the vector points can be deleted, only moved. As soon as I select the pen tool, it goes back to Uneditable. How can I delete some of the vector points??
While in the editing mode, click to select the point you want to delete, then press Backspace or Control-click the point and choose Delete from the menu that appears. Let me know if that works!