How to make an item a single color

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2019-02-22 23:52:40

Newb here. I don't know what this technique is called. Everything in a photo is B&W except one item that is a single color. I suspect masks are used, but I don't know. Any help or direction appreciated.

2019-02-23 11:12:47

Hi Nick.

There's a bunch of ways to do this: Masks etc, there's even a desaturate brush to get rid of colour if you want to go that way. My go-to, though, would be to create a new layer above the photo and change its blend mode from 'Normal' to 'Color'. You can then paint on this layer and any changes you make will replace the colour information of the layer below.

Hope this helps.

- Stef.

2019-02-23 14:00:34

Hi Stef,
Thanks for your reply.
I will go off and try that.

Nick

2020-12-28 15:59:02

by st3f 2019-02-23 11:12:47 Hi Nick.

There's a bunch of ways to do this: Masks etc, there's even a desaturate brush to get rid of colour if you want to go that way. My go-to, though, would be to create a new layer above the photo and change its blend mode from 'Normal' to 'Color'. You can then paint on this layer and any changes you make will replace the colour information of the layer below.

Hope this helps.

- Stef.
I tried that, want to change black to a skin tone but it just painted it a red!! Any ideas?

2021-01-05 10:23:01

by WAWAW 2020-12-28 13:59:02
I tried that, want to change black to a skin tone but it just painted it a red!! Any ideas?
To clarify, are you looking to replace fully black areas with some other color? If so, this method won't really work with dark colors. You'd need to use something like this or this.