macOS file .pxd icon started appear as folder (?)

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-09-17 12:25:28

Hi
Does this happened to any else?

I am at macOS mojave, and from some time ago my .pxd files loosed the icons and appear now as folders.
First I thought that could be that they are on GoogleDrive folder, but already moved outside that folder do desktop and still same.

EDITED:
after all, seems to be GoogleDrive fault.
I created a new .pxd file in the Desktop and the file icon was fine (a preview of the content)... it probably has to do with GoogleDrive, with the GoogleDrive new update I had to pull all the files again, and the .pxd came as if were folders.

2021-09-21 10:48:51

Hey Vitor. We've now made PXD documents available in binary format so this should no longer happen when exporting documents via File > Export. If there's a reason you still need to save package-type files (that use folders), choose File > Save instead.

2021-09-22 09:54:41

Thanks,
I usually use Save to keep my original working file. I almost remember that when Save it didn't created that icon folder before, usually creates a preview of image.

When I need to export to format that I exporte , example when need PNG, JPG etc...

This start happened after google drive upgrade, so I am almost sure that's google fault.

2021-09-23 15:38:08

It's very much a file format compatibility issue. In particular, some third-party storage providers don't support the macOS-native package type directories that Pixelmator Pro uses for its files. And since they can't be recognized, the package-type PXD documents are broken down into their actual components — folders. As far as I remember, Google Drive always had issues with PXD package files. :thinking:

2021-10-20 10:46:40

by Aurelija 2021-09-23 13:38:08 It's very much a file format compatibility issue. In particular, some third-party storage providers don't support the macOS-native package type directories that Pixelmator Pro uses for its files. And since they can't be recognized, the package-type PXD documents are broken down into their actual components — folders. As far as I remember, Google Drive always had issues with PXD package files. :thinking:
I Just migrated from Google Backup and Sync to Google drive as they shut it down and this problem started. Is there any way to work around it? I stil would like to keep the file intact with all changes etc.

2021-10-22 09:18:02

by buster 2021-10-20 07:46:40
I Just migrated from Google Backup and Sync to Google drive as they shut it down and this problem started. Is there any way to work around it? I stil would like to keep the file intact with all changes etc.
Could you check if saving the files to Google Drive instead of exporting them there helps?

2022-02-11 20:46:42

Hi!
Just stepped here because I was googling to this annoying issue.

I tried to save for a folder directly that is mapped to google drive and made a video.
It seems after google syncs the preview disappears... also if you make QuickView (macOS spancebar) it previews correctly.

https://youtu.be/CdyQzvjEuKE
(video demo'ing)

2022-02-17 15:34:16

Hey Vitor, that is almost certainly happening because Google Drive doesn't support package files. As far as I know, we are planning to migrate to using binary files exclusively, but that's still in the works. As Aurelija mentioned earlier in the thread, if you choose File > Export and export the file in Pixelmator Pro format, it will be exported in the binary PXD format. If you then later open and save to the same file, it will be preserved as a binary file, so you'll have to do the File > Export step just once. It also won't really change anything about the file other than its encoding.

Also, if Google Drive turns the PXD files into folders, to turn them back into PXDs, drag them out of Google Drive into a location on your Mac, and add ".pxd" to the end of the name. macOS will recognize it as a package file (which really is just a folder under the hood), and you'll be able to open the file in Pixelmator Pro.

One more thing, if you want to batch convert a series of package PXDs to binary PXDs, you can use Shortcuts – when processing images using Shortcuts, we save to binary PXD format by default. A simple shortcut like this (click here to download it) should do the trick:

2022-02-17 22:09:39

by Andrius 2022-02-17 15:34:16 Hey Vitor, that is almost certainly happening because Google Drive doesn't support package files. As far as I know, we are planning to migrate to using binary files exclusively, but that's still in the works. As Aurelija mentioned earlier in the thread, if you choose File > Export and export the file in Pixelmator Pro format, it will be exported in the binary PXD format. If you then later open and save to the same file, it will be preserved as a binary file, so you'll have to do the File > Export step just once. It also won't really change anything about the file other than its encoding.

(...)
Hi Thanks for the tips! I missed the Aurelija explanation before.