Why do fill colors "overflow" selected area?

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-08-26 17:03:43

Pixelmator Pro
Version 2.1.3 Coral

I want to add some subtle colors to a b/w image. I want to use a gradient to the selected area. But whenever - I have seen this before, many times - I try to fill the selected areas with color or gradient PP it overlays the entire image and I can never see or ammend the effects. This happened pre-Coral too and I hoped that it would be resolved with every update. If I am not mistaken shouldn't it only fill in the selected areas? Some images attached.

macOS Big Sur
Version 11.5.2
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
Processor 4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

2021-08-27 10:08:45

Hi! The Style tool in Pixelmator Pro is designed to work on a layer basis, i.e. it changes the look (or style) of the layer contents. It doesn't take selections into account and I believe that's how most image editors handle layer styles. If you're looking to modify the selected areas specifically, you can use the Color Fill effect (nondestructive), Quick Fill or any of the painting tools to do so.

2021-08-27 15:17:06

Aurelija, thank you so much! As I indicated I have been waiting for this "fix" for so long, and it has been there all the time! Thats one reason I "watch" these pages to learn what others are doing and how the PP team responds, and I usually learn something new. PP2 is so new and more "complex" than PClassic; I still have a lot to learn.

Keep up the good work.

2021-08-30 11:48:40

No problem, glad I could be of help, and great to hear you're finding the Pixelmator Community helpful in general. :pray: If there's anything more you'd like to see on here or if there are things you'd like us to improve — we're all ears!