Files Saved on External Drives Appearing as Blank Layers

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-08-15 04:19:29

I've recently started to have an issue with Pixelmator Pro that I believe began when I updated to the latest version of macOS 11.5 from 11.4. Before, I had been saving and editing my Pixelmator Pro files on an external ssd with no problems, but since updating my OS any new Pixelmator Pro edits I create appear as blank, empty layers whenever I reopen the file. The first time I open a photo, edit, and save, I can save with no problems. But if I try to close and reopen the file I am greeted by a blank layer, though Pixelmator Pro will remember all of the edits that I made to the photo according to the sliders on the right.

As well, if I try to open and edit a Pixelmator Pro file that I made before updating macOS and then try to save that file, I get the message "The document “...” could not be saved." As such it seems like I can't edit any of the files I made before updating macOS as well.

I'm having this issue with both an external SSD and an external HDD, so I don't think it is a problem with the hard drives. I can save and edit photos with no issues on the computers internal hard drive. I'm at a loss as to whether this is an issue with Pixelmator Pro or an issue with macOS itself. Any help would be appreciated.

2021-08-16 00:01:29

I don't know if I should feel happy that someone else is experiencing the same issue as me. But yeah I made a thread too about this empty layers bug (also send a mail to the support). It's more than being annoying it's literally dangerous to use Pixelmator Pro for now.

Maybe try to replace manually the images (but it didn't work for me).

I figured out that the data files of each projects are being "erased" when you save with the latest version of the app (I mean there are still there but empty). I don't know as well if it's from macOS or the app but I think I already had this issue before updating to 11.5.

Also, the issue about saving I also got this a while ago when updating to 11.3 or something. You have to duplicate your project then it will work. This was an issue with Big Sur (had the same problem with others apps).

I would just say, don't use Pixelmator Pro as long as we got no response from the devs.

2021-08-19 14:28:33

Hey guys! This issue is known to us and has been covered in this article here http://www.pixelmator.com/community/vie ... 11&t=18925 along with a couple of workaround suggestions. Hope this helps.