Color Replacement Seems inconsistent

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-07-16 12:58:00

I submitted a bug via email some days ago and expected to see it entered in the log. The bug is related to what I perceive to be an inconsistent application of color replacement. I created a simple black to white gradient image. I select pure white to change say to yellow and then selected pure black to change to say to red. I expected the distance so to speak to be equal. One way was much "longer" along the gradient than the other. I verified using affinity photo on the results and the info panel.

Something weird seems to be when replacing shades of gray to a color. It would be helpful to understand what range means in terms of RGB values and what limitations there are with respect to RGB values. For example, will color replacement work with RBG values of 0,0,0, 128,128,128 or 255,255,255 ?
Thanks- Jonathan

I have subsequently created a pxd example, but not sure how to share, so instead I have attached 3 exported files that should be obvious - Jonathan

Image Image Image

2021-07-21 09:39:44

Hey Jonathan. We did receive your report and the team's looking into it. :pray: The Replace Color adjustment has undergone some changes recently that we suspect might have some sort of relation to this. Initially, the adjustment worked only by replacing tints, so it was not possible to replace different shades of gray. It looks like this is either some remaining behavior of this previous functionality or some new issue. We'll have to dig deeper to find out which one is it. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!