2.1 Coral is not showing the new toolbar...

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-06-29 18:25:02

Hello, Just updated to 2.1 Coral, and I am missing the new toolbar with the new color well...

2021-06-29 21:24:39

It could be some update translation issue. if you can still see your toolbar, but there's just no colour well, go to View > Customise Toolbar... and drag the default set into the Toolbar. if you can't actually see you toolbar, just a little strip, go to View > Show Toolbar.
Good luck!

2021-06-30 07:28:52

I do see the Toolbar. But in the View menu there are two options: Customise Tools... and Customise Layout...
Both don't give me the option to change the upper Toolbar. It looks like the upper Toolbar is still the old one from previous versions...
I did a reinstall, but no difference.

2021-06-30 07:45:53

by JKL 2021-06-30 07:29:56 I do see the Toolbar. But in the View menu there are two options: Customise Tools... and Customise Layout...
Both don't give me the option to change the upper Toolbar. It looks like the upper Toolbar is still the old one from previous versions...
I did a reinstall, but no difference.
You're most likely running macOS Catalina or earlier on your Mac. The new color well and the redesigned toolbar are available on macOS Big Sur and later.

2021-06-30 09:04:26

Mac OS Catalina can't handle a Color Well..?

2021-06-30 13:43:38

It's not that macOS Catalina can't technically handle the color well — it was more of a design choice for us. We felt that the new color well didn't really work with the way the pre-Big Sur toolbars are set up. By the way, in case you wanted to use the color well for quick fill — you can still do that from other color wells across the app. Switching between foreground and background colors is also available by pressing "X" on the keyboard. So that's pretty much all the color well features covered. :)

2021-06-30 17:01:16

by Aurelija 2021-06-30 13:43:38 It's not that macOS Catalina can't technically handle the color well — it was more of a design choice for us. We felt that the new color well didn't really work with the way the pre-Big Sur toolbars are set up. By the way, in case you wanted to use the color well for quick fill — you can still do that from other color wells across the app. Switching between foreground and background colors is also available by pressing "X" on the keyboard. So that's pretty much all the color well features covered. :)
Perhaps you should clearly say on your website, what's working with Mojave/Catalina/BigSur and what's not... ;-)

2021-07-01 06:37:21

by Aurelija It's not that macOS Catalina can't technically handle the color well — it was more of a design choice for us. We felt that the new color well didn't really work with the way the pre-Big Sur toolbars are set up. By the way, in case you wanted to use the color well for quick fill — you can still do that from other color wells across the app. Switching between foreground and background colors is also available by pressing "X" on the keyboard. So that's pretty much all the color well features covered. :)
Odd choice. Where can I set the foreground and background colors?

2021-07-01 11:53:24

by mac zeug Perhaps you should clearly say on your website, what's working with Mojave/Catalina/BigSur and what's not... ;-)
I'm not sure if we can find a place for this info on our website but we've made sure to point this out in the Pixelmator Pro help guide (under toolbar overview). :ok_hand:
by JKL 2021-07-01 03:37:21
Odd choice. Where can I set the foreground and background colors?
It's fairly simple — with any of the Painting tools selected, press X on your keyboard to switch to the background color, select a color, then press X again to switch back to the foreground color. Hope that helps!

2021-07-01 16:04:22

by Aurelija 2021-07-01 15:53:24
I'm not sure if we can find a place for this info on our website but we've made sure to point this out in the Pixelmator Pro help guide (under toolbar overview). :ok_hand:

It's fairly simple — with any of the Painting tools selected, press X on your keyboard to switch to the background color, select a color, then press X again to switch back to the foreground color. Hope that helps!
I'm on Mojave and was excited to hear about the new color well for foreground and background colors but ... I need Big Sur for something so fundamental?? Yes I can press X to switch but there is no visual indicator showing me what my foreground and background colors are.Please reconsider making this available to those of us on older operating systems.

2021-07-01 19:34:42

Okey, at least I can set foreground and background color, but nothing is telling me what is foreground and background...

2021-07-02 13:04:40

True, the background color is somewhat hidden in the pre-Big Sur versions of Pixelmator Pro so at least for that purpose, the color well is undoubtedly handy to always have visible in the toolbar. Nevertheless, you can still use other color wells to check the foreground and the background colors (or switch between them) using the same" X" shortcut. Although we most likely won't be able to make the color well available on earlier macOS versions, I've pinged the team about this anyway — perhaps we can think of some other solutions.

2021-07-02 14:30:34

by Dorian_Gray
I'm on Mojave and was excited to hear about the new color well for foreground and background colors but ... I need Big Sur for something so fundamental?? Yes I can press X to switch but there is no visual indicator showing me what my foreground and background colors are.Please reconsider making this available to those of us on older operating systems.
+1

2022-04-17 02:47:46

I just spent an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't see the color well icon in the toolbar. I kept reading the user guide carefully. I looked for customization options. I tried everything I knew.

Then I come here and find out it doesn't work on Catalina. That would have been good information to have when I was reading about it in the user guide. Describing a feature in the user guide without explicit exceptions implies the feature should work. There was no note saying "Requires Big Sur or later". So I was left to figure out why I couldn't see the color well icon.

If any part of your app requires a particular version of macOS, it would be nice if it were noted in the user guide where the relevant features are discussed. It would also be useful to have a page dedicated to a list of those features that do not work in some versions of macOS.

While I am not a fan of design decisions that in effect create "tiers" of the app, I am really not a fan of the lack of documentation alongside the relevant feature in the user guide. I'm sure (at least I hope) that whenever the feature was first released, its OS requirement was mentioned in the release notes. However, some people may have begun using the app after that version, and they never saw the release notes.

Please consider updating the user guide appropriately.

2022-04-19 11:48:26

by arandor 2022-04-16 23:47:46 I just spent an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't see the color well icon in the toolbar. I kept reading the user guide carefully. I looked for customization options. I tried everything I knew.

Then I come here and find out it doesn't work on Catalina. That would have been good information to have when I was reading about it in the user guide. Describing a feature in the user guide without explicit exceptions implies the feature should work. There was no note saying "Requires Big Sur or later". So I was left to figure out why I couldn't see the color well icon.

If any part of your app requires a particular version of macOS, it would be nice if it were noted in the user guide where the relevant features are discussed. It would also be useful to have a page dedicated to a list of those features that do not work in some versions of macOS.

While I am not a fan of design decisions that in effect create "tiers" of the app, I am really not a fan of the lack of documentation alongside the relevant feature in the user guide. I'm sure (at least I hope) that whenever the feature was first released, its OS requirement was mentioned in the release notes. However, some people may have begun using the app after that version, and they never saw the release notes.

Please consider updating the user guide appropriately.
Hey arandor. Sorry for all the trouble! You can find this info in the Interface overview section of the Pixelmator Pro User Guide but we can definitely try making it more explicit. It would be interesting to know what was the first place you searched and perhaps we can add a mention of it there as well.

2022-04-19 17:35:56

by Aurelija 2022-04-19 15:48:26
Hey arandor. Sorry for all the trouble! You can find this info in the Interface overview section of the Pixelmator Pro User Guide but we can definitely try making it more explicit. It would be interesting to know what was the first place you searched and perhaps we can add a mention of it there as well.
I selected `Help > Pixelmator Pro Help`. Then I typed "color well" in the search field and clicked on the first result "Choosing Color". I scrolled down and clicked on "Choosing foreground and background colors". That's where I found the information about the color well icon but no mention of any OS limitations.

Thanks for looking into this.