Pixelmator Pro Not Responding opening projects over 1GB file size?

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-04-27 15:41:34

It seems like today, for the first time, out of all of my projects, I encountered a large project file that no longer appears to open, whether I open through Finder, open Pixelmator Pro first then open the file, or even restart with no apps open and do the previous 2 methods. I want to know if this file is corrupted and perhaps didn't save properly. Verified via Force Quit menu, after 30-60 seconds of waiting for the file to open. If it did save properly, there are 2 groups of layered objects, that I'm trying to separate as to reduce the file size so I hopefully won't need to run into this issue again. Could someone check to see if this file is broken or not? I was using this project file to get used to the gradient and Effects preset tools such as Light Leak, drop shadow, among other things.

The file is about 1.19GB, 8000x8000px, at 300dpi and sRBG I believe.

HARDWARE:
macOS Big Sur 11.3
MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2019)
1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5
8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Intel UHD Graphics 617 1536 MB (usually hooked up to Razer Core X via eGPU with XFX Radeon RX580 8GB card.)

File in question on my iCloud Drive: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0XI6 ... eam_MASTER

Is my Intel-based hardware to blame? Much appreciated in advance.

2021-04-27 16:58:01

It took nearly 30 minutes to open your image in PP, (iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) I7, 32 GB ) so I am not surprised that your MacBook (and you) had trouble opening it. It does not appear to be corrupt - but huge.

2021-07-25 19:19:27

I got a friend to spend about the same time opening the file, and deleted the layers involved. I think the details of the palm trees and pixels around it (select color, deleted the sunset colors of a photo and left the trees remaining), combined with I assume the mathematical calculations of making that white stroke effect for the rainbow gradient of the trees is what made the file slow down to a craw. After the friend separated the layer into 3 different files and Converted to Pixels for me, I was able to finish my project. Avoid doing that combination of effects if you want your file to open in a timely manner! This issue is considered resolved now. Thanks, everyone.