Quit without Review ?! Nightmare on Elm Street

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-05-02 03:23:58

Since upgrading to Pixelmator Pro 2.4.1. working has become a nightmare for me, literally. I usually open quite a few images to copy from, to create my work. Before 2.4.1. I could simply quit Pixelmator with Command+Q to close all images. But this changed with version 2.4.1. On quitting I am forced to go to each and every open image and click "Delete" or "Save". This is a huge burden! The real nightmare is this: Even if I quit Pixelmator Pro through kill -9 (or Kill through Activity Monitor), when I reopen ... all images reopen! It's scary.

I already mailed to support but they say the programmers said they have no control over the quit behaviour of Pixelmator. I didn't change the operating system though (MacOS 12.3), I upgraded only Pixelmator Pro.

Do you have the same problem? How do you handle this?

2022-05-02 09:18:17

Just used to happened when I do some editing to a bunch of loaded images wich I then don´t want to keep. But this behaviour didn´t changed afaik. If you strictly don´t want to keep any edits you can brut force quit Pixelmator Pro. Not sure about any side effects though. How many images do you have open during a session meaning a burden to hit "Delete" x times?

2022-05-04 13:45:28

Hi there, after speaking with the devs about this I can confirm that no changes were made from our side in recent updates (if any) that would have accelerated the rate that these dialogs appear. As I did previously mention to ag123 over email, these close window dialogs are purely macOS-based and we aren't able to directly impact their behavior. They are, however, dependant on two settings in System Preferences > General: "Ask to keep changes when closing documents", and "Close windows when quitting an app". Though at least from my experience, there doesn't seem to be a combination of these settings that results in no close dialogs appearing 100% of the time - it may only somewhat lower the frequency of cases where the dialogs appear. At the very least, if it helps, you can press Command + Delete multiple times to quickly select "Delete" for each dialog.

2022-05-10 22:41:45

EllenM, a force delete will make all images re-open the next time when opening the app.

I appreciate the research and efforts of the dev team. However, at this point it almost seems easier to uninstall Pixelmator and reinstall it every time I force quit it, instead of going through the tedious process of going through the dialogs of every open image.

Is there any way to delete Pixelmator's Preferences or History instead?

2022-05-10 22:44:33

by simonasd 2022-05-04 06:45:28 At the very least, if it helps, you can press Command + Delete multiple times to quickly select "Delete" for each dialog.
This shortcut makes it a bit faster to clean up the tab bar and close Pixelmator. Not a great solution, but the best solution so far. 🙏