Background removal — create a mask instead of erasing pixels

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-11-23 20:43:01

The new background removal feature is impressive and works unaided on a wide range of scenes. However when it gets it wrong and erases pixels that are in fact part of the subject, there is no easy way to get them back. If this feature instead created a mask, it would be simple to edit the mask to fix the areas that were incorrectly removed.

2021-11-24 04:47:50

I, too, love the new background removal feature! Thank you so much for making it! I'd love if I could just use a brush to paint back in any lost pixels, especially if I could see a ghost layer of the former background just to make sure I get it right. Thank you!

2021-11-24 05:30:25

There is a workaround, but generating a mask instead is a superior solution, I believe.

1. Duplicate the layer you wish to remove the background from and turn off the top one temporarily.
2. Add a mask to the lower layer and paint over the mask completely with black making the entire layer invisible.
3. Turn on the top layer again and run the background removal.
4. Now select mask on the lower (currently invisible) layer and select a brush with white.
5. You can now paint back in any pixels that should not have been removed.

2021-11-24 14:04:34

Hey guys! Try Option-clicking the Remove Background icon — this will add a layer mask instead of erasing the background and skip color decontamination. You can then adjust the mask either by painting on it with a black or white brush or using the Refine Mask tool.

2021-11-25 03:38:04

Oh, cool! So it does! Thanks, Aurelija.

2021-11-25 12:51:07

by Allister 2021-11-25 01:38:04 Oh, cool! So it does! Thanks, Aurelija.
My pleasure! :wink: