Pixelmator Pro still doesn't remember my last exporting location

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-09-13 16:26:38

This has been annoying me since Pixelmator Pro got released. I think I even made a feature request about it, but it's still nowhere to be seen.
Pixelmator Classic has this stupidly simple feature where it remembers where you save your project files, and where you export the images, separately.

I want my exported images on my desktop.
Fair enough, right? So I export to the desktop. That's all cool.
Then, if I create a new project, it then saves THAT to the Desktop as well. Alright, I just move the project to where my projects are located.
But now, if I open the project again, it wants to export to the projects folder.

This should be a 1 hour or maybe a 2-hour one-man job, I don't understand why after over 4 years it's still missing this feature which again, the Classic version has.

2021-09-17 09:10:07

Hey Piipperi. If it's not too much trouble, perhaps you could share a screencast of the issue at support@pixelmator.com? Everything seems to be working as designed on our end so we're obviously missing some steps here. :thinking:

2021-09-17 09:15:36

by Aurelija 2021-09-17 09:11:59 Hey Piipperi. If it's not too much trouble, perhaps you could share a screencast of the issue at support@pixelmator.com? Everything seems to be working as designed on our end so we're obviously missing some steps here. :thinking:
The issue is just quite simple: export location by default is the same as the project location in Pm Pro. On Classic, the default export location was the last location exported to, not the project location.

2021-09-20 11:17:47

Thanks for clearing that up. I've double-checked it with the devs — it's expected behavior. At the moment, Pixelmator Pro is designed to remember and suggest the most probable location user wants to export to. It offers the original document folder if the file has already been exported or saved to that particular location before. This usually applies to the PXD documents or JPEG, PNG, TIFF images edited without importing. For any new documents you create, Pixelmator Pro will use the last-used export location.

2021-09-20 14:12:04

by Aurelija 2021-09-20 08:17:47 Thanks for clearing that up. I've double-checked it with the devs — it's expected behavior. At the moment, Pixelmator Pro is designed to remember and suggest the most probable location user wants to export to. It offers the original document folder if the file has already been exported or saved to that particular location before. This usually applies to the PXD documents or JPEG, PNG, TIFF images edited without importing. For any new documents you create, Pixelmator Pro will use the last-used export location.
But why doesn’t it work like in Pixelmator Classic? That way was way better. There should be at least an option to make it behave it like in the old days.

2021-09-20 15:00:39

The idea was to stay more consistent with the behavior of other macOS apps, like Keynote, for instance. But I've pinged the devs about this. We'll see if we can think of something.

2021-09-25 04:33:41

Methinks it would be just as easy to designate a "Default Export Location". If undefined the default would be the default project location, or using Mac OS some other, possibly always a different location. However, if "Default Export Location" is defined they ALWAYS go there. FWIW.

Also, at any export location you could have a check box to indicate "use this location as the "Default Export Location" from now on...

2021-09-27 08:41:43

by mccoytest 2021-09-25 01:33:41 Methinks it would be just as easy to designate a "Default Export Location". If undefined the default would be the default project location, or using Mac OS some other, possibly always a different location. However, if "Default Export Location" is defined they ALWAYS go there. FWIW.

Also, at any export location you could have a check box to indicate "use this location as the "Default Export Location" from now on...
I don't think we have a lot of freedom when it comes to custom buttons or checkboxes in the default macOS export/save dialog but otherwise, your suggestion definitely makes sense. We'll see what our options are here.