Display zoom level (numerical value) at all times in zoom slider

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-05-27 01:38:01

In some areas Pixelmator Pro seems very shy about giving me useful information.
Today's example: the zoom slider
In its normal configuration, it won't tell me the current zoom level; I have to mouse over it and then the percentage will appear like a tooltip (and then it will disappear after a few seconds).
If I'm unfortunate enough to be at "zoom to fit" at the moment, then mousing over will only say "fit", without even telling me the zoom percentage at all.
Offhand I can't think of another program I've used that doesn't show this value at all times. Please display the numerical zoom percentage at all times, or at least give me the option to do so.

2021-05-27 08:06:53

Hey there Neil. For the Zoom slider, we took inspiration from Photos — you'd see the same exact slider behavior when editing or browsing photos there. The way I see it, it offers the benefit of quicker zooming over precision. The original-style Zoom tool is still there in Pixelmator Pro, though. If you Control-click the toolbar, choose Customize toolbar, you'll see it in the list of available items.

2021-05-27 12:49:52

I certainly wouldn't want to give up the quick and easy zoom capabilities of the slider. But you've given me my answer: I've put the old-style zoom next to the slider, and now I have the best of both worlds. :)

No matter how many times I've looked through the available list of tools I keep missing stuff. Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions.