ML Match Colors from a different area in the same image

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-05-26 20:56:05

When editing old photos and slides, we often discover discoloration in one area of a photo. For instance, bushes on one side may be splotched and so they're a different, unnatural shade of green than the bushes on the other side of the image.

We love the ML Match Colors feature for different photographs, but it would be even more valuable if users could match colors of areas within a single image. For example, users could quick-select the discolored bushes, and then use ML Match Colors to quick-select the correct area to match from in the same image.

Here's an example where we'd love to be able to instantly match colors from the pavement on the left side of the image to the pavement on the right side:

Thanks for your consideration.

2021-05-27 09:02:43

This should already be possible by using selections. You'd need to first copy and paste the area you want to use for color matching as a separate layer. Then, select the area you want to adjust and drag the newly created layer over to the Color Adjustments pane to color match. That said, I don't really think this technique would do much for this type of discoloration. To reduce or replace the unwanted color tints, you'd probably want to make careful manual adjustments using Selective Color, Color Balance, Hue and Saturation, and potentially some other tools.

2021-05-27 17:54:10

Whoaa! You taught me a new trick! That functionality is exactly what I'm looking for. It requires creating a new layer, but it's pretty easy and gets the job done.

I love that the Pixelmator Pro team hosts these forums, pays attention to them, and responds. Anytime someone needs a photo editing tool or asks what I use, I wholeheartedly recommended Pixelmator Pro. Thank you!!

2021-06-01 13:19:12

by Harris 2021-05-27 14:54:10 Whoaa! You taught me a new trick! That functionality is exactly what I'm looking for. It requires creating a new layer, but it's pretty easy and gets the job done.

I love that the Pixelmator Pro team hosts these forums, pays attention to them, and responds. Anytime someone needs a photo editing tool or asks what I use, I wholeheartedly recommended Pixelmator Pro. Thank you!!
Happy to help. :) And thanks for the kind words! I guess this goes both ways — forum users can get their questions answered quicker and we get to learn more about how you guys use Pixelmator Pro in the "real world", what you like or don't like about it, all of which often points us to great feature additions or improvements.