dotted dashed line patterns with rectangular ends.

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2020-03-05 17:52:17

PPro only creates lines with rounded ends. It would be very good to be able to create with square ends.

The only way I could do it was to convert lines - 25 wide in this case - to pixels, then created several rectangular filled items, define the end points and distribute them evenly then do a color selection of each of the rectangles, then move the selections over the original pixel line and perform a delete. Not impossible, but tedious.

This method is only possible on a straight line; of course impossible for circles or other non-straight lines which PPro only does with rounded ends.

Icing on the cake if the user was able adjust the line length and spacing between segments. Sprinkles on top if the user could define the shape end to something other than just a rectangle or rounded. I have created a pxd with my ideas and how I had to do it manually. When I get the path I will put it here.
http://upload-cdn.pixelmator.com/Untitled-1035.pxd.zip

2020-03-06 15:37:45

The vector tools should be getting more and more attention in upcoming updates and there plans to address stroke caps and possibly corners, too, though all this would most likely be added incrementally. Custom dash styles would probably come even further down the line, but they are a possibility. :wink:

2020-03-06 16:01:32

Thank you Andrius. Incremental is good; incremental fast is better. :alarm_clock:

2020-03-09 14:47:11

by mccoytest 2020-03-06 16:01:32 Thank you Andrius. Incremental is good; incremental fast is better. :alarm_clock:
Ain't that the truth! :smile:

2021-04-23 02:36:00

by Andrius 2020-03-06 02:37:45 Custom dash styles would probably come even further down the line, but they are a possibility. :wink:
Really hanging out for this feature, currently having to export to another program just to draw dotted lines

2021-05-03 12:16:04

by Andrius 2020-03-06 20:37:45 The vector tools should be getting more and more attention in upcoming updates and there plans to address stroke caps and possibly corners, too, though all this would most likely be added incrementally. Custom dash styles would probably come even further down the line, but they are a possibility. :wink:
I hope this includes plans to add arrows to the ends. Doing quick annotations in PPro is a real pain right now with the existing arrow shape.

2022-03-03 13:52:25

Was this ever resolved, can't believe I spent good coin on this app, for all the frilly bits and then I have to revert the image back to png or jpg and then use preview to draw a dotted line.

2022-03-04 12:54:20

Hey Garry! We haven't had the chance to address the stroke caps just yet, to be honest, but we realize it's a necessary feature and we will be adding it to Pixelmator Pro, eventually.